Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Difference a Year Makes...Part 2


Have you ever noticed how coming home and unpacking is never quite as nice as packing to go somewhere? I am not someone who gets home sick easily, oh I miss my kids if I am away from them, but I rarely miss my home...and I love my home, but there is something so insanely grand about being away. No messes (that I have to take care of anyhow), no laundry, no worries about the next day-just pure relaxation. When we got home today there was that definite air of irritation while we unloaded the car. We had bug-bombed the house while we were away, and there were messes to clean up. I always recommend coming home to a clean house after a vacation, (and we usually do), otherwise all that vacation bliss is out the window the second you unlock the front door. But back to the story.

      I last left you when we were pulling up to the place we were staying the second night. One glance at it, and I will admit I had doubts. The Huntsman's Lodge didn't look like anything special from the outside, but Barrett was pretty pleased with himself, and handed me the key to our room while he moved the car. I jogged to the room, mentally reserved that I would pretend to like it no matter what...I mean he was trying. I unlocked the door hesitantly. "Wow!" I exclaimed as I exhaled. The lodge-style room was gorgeous. It is exactly how I would love to decorate my own home one day. Wooded bed, dressers, iron pictures, and just a plush but outdoorsy, country theme to every nook and cranny of the room. In the corner sat a 2 person Jacuzzi tub, and next to our bed was a gas fireplace. The room could not have been nicer, it even had a kitchen area. After a soak in the tub, Barrett took me to the next surprise, the "interesting" dinner he had told me about. An hour and a half of driving later to literally the middle of nowhere, we ended up outside Cowboy Dinner Tree, which I had never heard of, outside Silver Lake, Oregon. The restaurant had a great country vibe, and the tables were made out of log halves. Gorgeous. We had cowboy beans, dinner rolls, salad, steak and baked potatoes, followed by dessert of our choice, strawberry and raspberry shortcake for me and a chocolately cake for him. Our drinks were in mason jars. It was such a great meal, and the atmosphere was definitely interesting. If it is possible to be down home, country and still fancy, this would be the combination.
Our evening was wonderful, and this morning we awoke for the last leg of our anniversary trip. After a quick continental breakfast in the lodge, and lots of relaxation in the tub, we headed out once more. This time we stopped at Salt Creek Falls, between Willamette Pass and Oakridge. Barrett had pointed the falls out  to me once or twice before as we had driven home from camping, but we hadn't had time to stop. I am so glad we made time this trip. Breathtaking is the only way to describe the falls. We walked along a little trail to get different views, holding hands, and stopping to kiss along the way. On this trip my husband taught me that romantic isn't always fancy. Romantic is the moments that create memories, the shared smiles and laughs, the quiet times and the night in a tent under the stars, the log furniture in a room...all that is pretty darn romantic. What a wonderful one year anniversary.

So...yeah...a lot can happen in a year, but it is the small moments that make all the difference in the world. And while life may have changed a lot, our love has only got bigger, better and more resilient-as it should.





1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I was able to surprise you repeatedly! I'm even more glad you actually did enjoy it, as I knew the place we were staying might not be as nice as I had hoped. :)

    I love you, and I can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete