Wednesday, August 29, 2012

When Hygiene Happens...

I got a few responses to the relationship survey where people (okay, women) confessed that sometimes the lack of intimacy in their relationship was due to bad hygiene on their partner's end. Tough subject. No one wants to tell the love of their life that you have no desire to touch them because they smell bad, haven't brushed or that their stubble hurts your skin. It's a tricky topic. I saved this for an entire post because I think intimacy is SO important in a relationship, that anything that prevents it and is preventable, needs to be addressed. Let's face it, some women (and men) are pickier than others. I myself have few qualms about kissing Barrett after we have each had spaghetti and garlic bread, first thing in the morning (it's not just in movies like I thought!), or having his beard tickle my face (kinda like it actually), but there can be instant mood killers for me as well as for many others. The trick? Find out what just doesn't do it for your partner. This means asking them. I know, I know, that is opening up the doors to awkwardness, yet you will find that if you do, it will only bring you closer. I am not a shy person when it comes to being myself in my home, and this also means that there is no embarrassment about going potty, taking a shower, brushing my teeth...or embarrassment when my love does these human things. Heck, I could have a conversation with Barrett while he is otherwise indisposed, but hey...I'm comfortable with reality. 

For some women, all it would take is for their man to put on some more anti-perspirant, brush their teeth and shave their beard (or other regions). Hygiene is important and CAN be a deal-breaker. Some women have complained that their man puts on wrinkled clothes, and never dresses nice for them. This can also be very important for a woman, and if you are a guy and reading this while rolling your eyes, think about the fact that we are willing to put on a cute outfit, shave our legs, wear makeup and don very uncomfortable shoes to look good for you. It'd take you less than 10 minutes to grab that "preppy" shirt that she likes, brush your teeth and throw on some deodorant. We too, can get tired of seeing you in the same thing day in and day out. Unless you know she likes cologne, skip it (triggers migraines for me!). Guys often put on way too much, and if you are going to wear it for her, go very light...like a spritz on your neck or chest. Do not bathe in it!

Women, we are culprits too. Here are some mistakes we can make that bother men (don't get mad at me! Actually you can, because I agree...), so what you should do is: Keep your legs shaved...even in the winter. Always shave your armpits. Style your hair (and if you won't that day, wash it and pull it up in a cute way). Don't wear too much perfume or scented lotion. Make sure there are no deodorant streaks on clothing or deodorant balls (you know what I'm saying!) in your armpits. Stay "fresh" where it counts...(wetwipes, anyone?).

For further tips and areas that may need improvement (don't worry, I also included a link for women, because we can have hygiene blunders as well), read below.

No comments:

Post a Comment