Monday, August 6, 2012

Secrets to a Happy Wife-Part 1

Now don't be put off by this post- If you are not married, I am going to assume that you want to be at some point, heed the advice. Husbands, I know that you are significantly happier when your wife is happy, so read up! Wives, comment or email me if you would like to add or disagree...and feel free to discreetly share my tips with your husband. Say these words after me, "Honey, look at this interesting blog-this women thinks she knows a lot about relationships-what do you think?" Just sayin'. :)


  1. Tell her she's beautiful when she least expects it. Secret time-She expects to be told she looks nice when she is dressed up for something, and you'd better notice! What she does not expect is you telling her you think she's beautiful when she thinks she's at her worst-first thing in the morning, after a workout, when she is slumming around in PJs with no make-up on, you get my drift. Another word of advice on this, telling her she is pretty, is trite. Telling her she is beautiful makes her mushy inside. Side note: there is an okay time to tell her that she is just plain HOT as well, so that's relative to the situation. :)
  2. Touch her often. This in no way translates to "grope at will"! Moves that women love:  Lead her into a room with your hand on the small of her back, brush her hair off her neck or out of her eyes, interlace your fingers with hers as you walk together. 
  3. Take care of her. Believe me, she will reciprocate. Find the little things that matter to her and do them as a sign of affection. Nothings says "I love you" to me more than the fact that Barrett makes me coffee every morning-usually breakfast too. He is not my slave, but he knows I simply will not take the time to take care of myself-especially in the hazy, barely awake morning hours. Start her a bubble bath and banish her to it-away from the kids and the household chores. Start her shower in the morning. 
  4. Listen to her. Okay, okay I get it. We women talk a lot and can often talk a long time about nothing in particular. Listen anyway. If she has to repeat herself when talking to you, it offends her. Show you care by actively listening. There are no Cliff's Notes for this tip-in the words of Nike-just do it.
  5. Treat her to something. Tell her she can buy those red, skinny jeans she ogled online yesterday. Call her out of the blue and tell her not to make dinner, that you're going out (this actually touches on another tip too!). This does NOT have to be a grand, wallet depleting, gesture. My husband brings me home cappuccino from his work, and I love it! It just means you thought of her.
  6. Flowers are not just for first dates and anniversaries. Sure, you've bought her roses (or insert flower of choice here) a handful of times. I'm guessing it's been awhile, right? She misses it, but she can't tell you that because then the gesture would be pointless (more on how women think in a later post). If you can't stand to buy something that will just die, buy her a house plant or a flower for outside. 
  7. It's about the experience. Commercials tell you diamonds and chocolate are a way to her heart, but while she won't turn down either, she'd really rather make memories with you. Depending on what she likes, take her somewhere. Take what you would have spent on that anniversary band or diamond necklace and go somewhere. Weren't going to spend very much? That's okay too. Take her on a hike, walking through a quaint downtown, canoeing in the river...the possibilities are endless. One of my all time favorite memories with Barrett was a time we were camping- he laid a blanket down under the stars, and we watched a movie on his laptop. It was the perfect combination of my favorite things-and unique.
  8. Invite her along. You love her, but you also had hobbies before her, and things you still want to do. Maybe it is hunting, fishing, playing tennis, or riding ATVs. While she may not always go with you, it means a lot for her to be invited. It shows you think enough of her to make her part of your world.  
  9. Surprise her. Take care of the details for your anniversary this year, or make her dinner when she doesn't expect it. Take her out when she was expecting just another night in. She'll be so pleased that she won't even fight you over the movie choice! I can tell you that I am hard to surprise, but that I love it, and I will even put on a cute skirt and do my hair and make-up instead of staying in jeans and a ponytail!
  10. Follow her interests. You don't have to like everything she does, but feign interest if you have to sometimes. If she blogs, read it! If she likes to decorate the house, tell her about a new fume-free paint you read about online that comes in 201 colors. If she loves to scrapbook, surprise her with a stop at a craft store on your way back from dinner one night. You'll be amazed, but I'll just bet that she will be more willing to stomach your desire to go to Cabela's now and browse through the hunting gear.
That's all for now, but tune in for tricks to a happy husband soon. 


5 comments:

  1. All so true!!! Every man should read this!!! I found my guy who does this and I didn't believe it existed, but it does.!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we deserve it, lol! No, truly-thank you. Pass it around! :)

      Delete
  2. Love this! Spot on, Sarah. And the sames goes for us girlfriend/wives. My guy still appreciates the occasional/unexpected flowers, and loves being told I still think he's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right. My guy got wildflowers today. :)

      Delete
  3. dr. marnish solved my relationship problem 3 days ago , i sent him some gift of appreciation for the Commitment love Spell he did for me, he made my lover to love me again. and to be committed to me again, i am very very much happy. dr.marnish brought me happiness, email dr.marnish@yahoo.com or call him +15036626930 he will turn your broken relationship around

    ReplyDelete