Thursday, August 30, 2012

Deciding What Matters...and the Bucket List

In 2007 the  movie, The Bucket List made quite the stir. If you haven't seen it, it is a story about two men who meet in the hospital and become friends. They are both fighting cancer, and they each make a "bucket list", a list of things they'd like to do before they "kick the bucket." If you haven't seen it, watch it tonight!! The movie spawned many other people to begin making their own personal bucket lists. I encourage you to make yours. Not only is the activity fun, but it also helps you pinpoint what is most important to you, and to see if you are on the way to accomplishing any of your goals. Then share it with your spouse, family and best friends so that they can hold you accountable and even help you reach some of your goals. 

Sometimes (okay often, we don't like to think of our own mortality). You may think that it is depressing...but death, as I am sure you have heard, is a fact of life. This life is finite, and we need to get the most out of it that we can. I know that Barrett and I have had some interesting conversations regarding this. If I ever get a fatal prognosis, and my chances are slim, I doubt I will fight it. Instead, I will spend what is left of this life, living. I told him we have to travel, and that if I were to ever hear bad news like that, he has agreed that whatever other things may be going on in life, he would take a leave of absence from work and we would live it up. An acquantaince of mine died of cancer not long ago. I wish I had known her better. She left behind a young daughter and a caring husband. During her battle, she never failed to be calm, brave and full of life. During her hospital stays for chemo, she even had full make-up on. She fought a good fight, and left this world with many people respecting and admiring her strong will, faith in God, and reserve.

What would be on your bucket list? Have you made one? The best bucket lists include achievable goals, things you'd like to do just for fun, and maybe a few wild things too. A good way to start a bucket list is to open a Pinterest account and use the visual pinboard to pin pictures of things you'd like on your bucket list. There are also some great lists out there to get your own ideas from (I have linked them below). Here are just ten of my many items, some I have accomplished, and some not yet. You can view my full bucket list (in progress) at Sarah's Bucket List


  • Become a mom. (check! :))
  • Adopt a dog from a shelter.  (check!)
  • Scuba dive.
  • Donate blood.
  • Become a nurse. (on my way, I hope)
  • Celebrate a 50 year wedding anniversary.  (On my way...49 years to go!)
  • Sleep in a castle.
  • Own a boat...again.
  • Visit all 50 states (9 down!)
  • See the pyramids of Egypt.
Tips and ideas for making your own:

2 comments:

  1. - Retire early.
    - Get us that big diesel rv so we can travel in style, with snacks and a toilet nearby.
    - Move to central Oregon and have hundreds of acres of peace, calm, and a 1000-yard rifle range.
    - Get us that awesome little jetski/boat thing I told you about.
    - Make sure you're happy with whatever career you're at.
    - Visit Alaska.
    - Go back to Hawaii.
    - Visit all 50 states in our RV.
    - Buy/build our own castle, complete with moat.
    - Learn to scuba dive(in Hawaii!)

    ReplyDelete