Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Don't Like You Right Now...

My younger son, Isaiah, can often be a bit of a handful. He is ornery, tenacious and definitely operates by his own agenda. While it bothered me for awhile (read: the last few years), I am coming to really appreciate his attributes. It seems I could learn a lot from my 4 year-old. Here are a few things that have come to mind.


  1. Be Honest. Yes, he gets himself in trouble at times, but he is never shy to say what is on his mind. A favorite saying at our house for a long time was, "I don't like you right now," which is what Isaiah would say when he didn't get his way. The thing that is refreshing about children, is that if you really want to know how something is, ask them. Up to a certain point, they completely lack the tactfulness filter, and they give it to you straight. If Isaiah says I look pretty, I must be having a good day!
  2. Try Again. It is rare that I hear my 4 year-old whine about having to re-do something. The Lego tower fell down? No biggie, he just builds it again. His room is still messy according to Mom? It's okay, I'll go fix it. If only we adults could realize that our stress, worry and whining gets us nowhere, and with the attitude of a child-suck it up and try again.
  3. Sometimes the Risk is Worth the Punishment. Now, I am not saying that some rules were not meant to be followed, but I am saying that some were also meant to be broken, especially if the punishment is not as bad as the joy you get out of doing it. Isaiah has this fact down!  He has been told numerous times not to run upstairs or jump down the stairs at the bottom. He gets put in time-out, and I ask him "Didn't you know you weren't supposed to do this?" "Yes," he says. "Then why are you running again?" "Because it's fun," he answers. :) I couldn't even get mad at that. I do recall a certain swimming pool that was closed at night on our honeymoon. Let's just say the rope across the steps was oh so hard to get past! ;)
  4. Life is an Adventure. I don't care where I put this kid, he has fun. Entire imaginary conversations between toys while stuck in the car, an ocean of sharks in the bathtub, lions chasing him through the grass on our property...life is fun. Kids can teach you that blanket forts, secret hideouts and monsters in the closet are actually a great way to exercise our imagination! At our house there is a purple, polka-dot, sock eating monster. Just Sayin'.
  5. Love is Meant to be Shared. Both my boys, but Isaiah especially, can be real cuddle-bugs. Isaiah will tell me that he loves me and ask me to stay in his room longer at bedtime. There is no holding back, and I love the fact that if he isn't getting the affection he needs, he will simply ask, "Mommy, could you please hug and kiss me again?" Now, how could you say no to that? 
Perhaps we could learn some things from him....

No comments:

Post a Comment