Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Romance is an Everyday Kind of Thing.

We have not always been that great with grand gestures. Barrett was very hesitant to say those 3 little words, our engagement was more of a discussion that I initiated-not some romantic proposal, and our wedding was planned out step-by-step, but then we eloped in Reno. :) Sometimes what works for you is not the same as what works for others. While I wanted so badly to hear I love you early on, I also knew that when he finally said it, he would mean it-because it wasn't something he wanted to throw around. While I wanted the devastatingly romantic proposal, I was also too impatient to wait, and our way worked well too. I got to help design my engagement ring, and eight months after we were married Barrett got down on one knee and surprised me with my wedding band. And yes, I wanted the wedding. I still have the invitations that we bought and never sent, but our way was smart. We saved tons on money, and we had my close friend take pictures of us in the wedding dress and suit we had already bought. They turned out beautiful, and no matter how corny this may sound, so was our ceremony in Reno. It was just us, and we were grinning ear-to-ear, so in love. And besides, a wedding does not a marriage make! ;)

In our relationship, romance is an everyday kind of thing. We love to surprise one another. Barrett has tricked me numerous times only to have plans made, a meal prepared or flowers in his hand. I try to do the same for him. The other day we were not getting along the best. My feelings had been hurt about something, and Barrett felt awful, even hours later. In all honesty, I overreacted (which has been known to happen on occasion).He has been riding his motorcycle to work, and it was a very hot day out. I wanted him to know we were not only okay, but that we were great. I rushed home from school, made some chicken sandwiches and packed a picnic in a cooler. I went outside and picked some wildflowers and bundled them up in a bouquet with a hair-tie. Then, I drove to his work. When he came outside I was standing by his bike with flowers in hand. I had packed his swim trunks. I told him I'd bring him back to work in the morning, but that I couldn't wait until he got home to see him, and that we were having a picnic dinner at the river. 

I have learned many things in the last 20 months I have known Barrett. I have learned to say I am sorry. I have learned to enjoy my life, and to suck it up when things don't go as planned. I have also learned that sometimes the big gestures are not the ones you tend to think will be the most important, but instead the ones that you do each day to reinforce your love.

1 comment:

  1. I admit, I'm a little slow to get started. But you were and are definitely worth it. I love you, babe.

    ReplyDelete