Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Best Job for Moms? I've done my research, but I'd love your take!

It has not been until the last few years that I truly gave much consideration to being a "working mom." Since I have spent the past year or so not working, I can tell you how funny that phrase actually is. All moms work. Seriously. There have been days in the last year where I longed for previous jobs I have had because the hours at home and tasks at hand were more difficult, time-consuming, and emotionally draining than a typical day at work. So true. But I digress. I was a career woman first I guess, or college woman anyhow, before having kids. I was a few months pregnant with Matthew when I graduated with my BS, and had a newborn when I began teaching (still not sure how that first year didn't kill me!). Up until last year, when my littler boy was turning 5, I had always worked full-time with children. 

I definitely had my share of working mom stress and guilt, child-care decisions, and exhaustion, but for the most part I was really lucky. I am not sure this is typical. For 6 years I worked at an awesome dentist office for a very family friendly team, and had what I referred to as "teacher's hours." What was funny was that I then became a teacher, and "teacher's hours" were better at the dentist office where there were no parent-teacher conferences, piles of grading, or after-school "not really mandatory but mandatory" (if you get my drift?) events and meetings. Still though, I was lucky. On a typical day I was home before 5, had my children in tow and could make dinner. I have never worked a weekend in my life. Okay...that is technically a lie, because I always did grading and planning on weekends...but I never had to go to work. I have never worked a night-shift, haven't even worked an evening shift since I was a cashier at Wal-Mart when I was 18, and never a holiday. I get that not everyone is that lucky, and I am not rubbing it in. I am simply telling you that I didn't think balancing work with home was a terrible feat...because I was lucky. 

I say all this because the topic of best careers for mothers is on my mind a lot lately. It is true that I have thought about going back to teaching, because I have been there and I know how it works, and I am qualified. I don't think I am headed this route though. First off, I applied to over 19 jobs last summer and was granted 2 interviews, and no jobs. I was okay with this, as it was mostly a feeler for me on how the market is...well, the market is swamped. Secondly, and I say this with a grain of salt because there are some people out there who make this work wonderfully-teaching is not the best job for moms. I had never actually read an article that seconded my sentiment until today when I was reading all about great jobs for mothers. The writer said that friends had shared that teaching had too much work to be done off the clock (thus eating into family time), and that after being with children all day it was sometimes hard to be around the children at home. I found that to be very true. I think if I was a college professor maybe it would be different...


Graduating college and then going further with my teaching license and degree was what I clung to for years. It was my life-blood when my marriage was crumbling, so I know that a woman can accomplish anything she wants. Hindsight is 20/20 though. My lifeblood should have been my kids. Did you know that if I had it all to do over again, I'd probably have stayed at that dental office?  <Some women were offended at articles about motherhood and careers, saying that women should and can do anything they want. While I agree, I also think it is important to prioritize, and I no longer want my family on a back-burner.>

Today I scoured many articles on this subject. Some women said staying at home of course! Other women choose highly professional careers like being a doctor or a lawyer, because once established, they could be more available. Some chose home businesses, consulting or even design (frankly, I would LOVE to be an interior designer, but this is very economy based). Others still said nursing, medical office work and dental hygiene. Here are some great links if you are curious where your job falls (or what your next one should be!):



I want to be a nurse for many reasons, but one of the reasons I avoided it way back when was because I did not view it as family friendly. Maybe some of you can challenge that statement and reassure me? I do not desire to work nights, weekends, and holidays...well, ever. This is not read that I am unwilling, simply that I do not want to...there's a difference. I want to be here when my boys come home, never miss a soccer practice or game, a Boy Scout Pack meeting, or school function. They, are my priority. My husband is my priority. Right now, I continue to stay home, but it will not always be this way. I am almost certified as a CNA, and I am applying to nursing programs for next year, and I want them...I truly do, BUT I also want what is best for my sons as their mother, because I only get so many years here with them. 

And so right now I tread a line, a fine line between becoming a nurse (knowing full well I will be picky about hours and likely want part-time...but it'd be there for later when my boys are grown), or finding a career that I am likely overqualified for, but putting ego aside as I scoop up great hours and time off with my family (like a medical assistant). 

I think the best job for a mother, is being a mother, but I also know that life, finances, and personalities even make working outside the home necessary at times. In that case, I think the best job for a mom is one that doesn't interfere too much with being a mom. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts. What should have made the list, and what jobs made the list but really aren't that mom-friendly?

No comments:

Post a Comment