Monday, December 30, 2013

In 2014

It's that time of year when everyone starts thinking of ways that they can be better in the year to come. Does the New Year refresh you? It does me, and for me it has double meaning in that every New Year's Day I celebrate another birthday. I have always been one for a resolution or two for the upcoming year, have you? I think that many people are drawn to this time of year because it gives us a chance to start over, at least symbolically, and I know that everyone could use a fresh start now and then. In my head, I even tend to take things to the extreme-I ask myself if I could move somewhere I have never been (with my family of course!) and start fresh, what would matter to me? Is it sad how appealing that idea can be at times? Do any of you readers ever have that same thought?


I turn 32 this New Year's Day, and have some other milestones I am reminded of. I have been out of high school for 14 years this year (wow!!!). My first baby will be 9 this year, and my little one will be 6. I will have been divorced for 3 years, and married to Barrett for 3 years as well (come this summer). I left teaching in 2012, as well as moved to our new home then, and earned my CNA license in 2013. This blog started in the summer of 2012, and has surpassed 10,000 views! :) There's some history for you. I encourage you to make a timeline of your life, and I bet you'll enjoy reminiscing over accomplishments. 

Last year my New Year's Resolution was very simple: to be a better mom and wife by being happier. That's it. For the most part, I actually think I accomplished it-though it would've depended on the day I suppose!

For 2014, I have some thoughts. I woke up this morning for the first morning in a long time feeling absolutely inspired, feeling grounded, and feeling like I could take on the world. It's a great feeling, and here are some of the thoughts I have had about who I should be in the year to come: 


In 2014...

  •  I am conforming less to others' ideals of beauty and embracing my own sense of style as well as the beauty that comes from being simply comfortable with myself. 
  • I am owning both the complexity and often inconvenience of my dreams, and embracing them both as part of my journey.
  • I am getting in better touch with my own spirituality because I want to-not out of guilt or requirement.
  • I am loving my body and taking care of it by doing more of the healthy things that I enjoy, and letting go of the guilt about not doing the things I dislike. 
  • I will think more, but doubt less. Fear has no room in my heart with dreams this big.
  • I will allow myself to make mistakes, and room to try things and decide I don't like them. (How else will I know?)
  • I will understand that though my family is my #1 priority, not only is it okay, but it is necessary for me to cultivate interests of my own and find a handful that belong to me. 
  • I will dream dreams that may seem difficult to attain to outsiders, but I will put them into action by having a plan (and another plan, etc.).
  • I will commit myself to giving time to an organization that I truly care about.
  • I will travel more, experience more, but shop less. 
  • I will know that I am a paradox of many things (introverted but a people person, determined but indecisive, intelligent but sometimes naive), and instead of feeling guilty about these, I will embrace and hone my strengths. )If curious, this is me to a T)-Portrait of an INFJ
"The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last." ― Nicholas Sparks, Dear John

Want to know my dreams?  Think you know them all? (I bet you don't!) Ahhh...but that is another topic another day. 

Cheers for now
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment