Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas! 2013 At a Glance (Our Christmas Newsletter)

I have decided that I like this venue more than the sending out of traditional photo Christmas cards. For one thing, it saves me time and money (yes, please), and for another, anyone can read it that wants to. 

2013 has been a year that has taught this family, and yours truly especially, that life rarely goes as planned. Reading my Christmas post from last year, I thought how neat and organized our lives and plans sounded. Ha! Shortly after my blog post (which you may remember from other posts later), Barrett's grandmother was hospitalized, our yellow lab died, and I freaked out about changing careers and bowed out of the CNA program. I spent the remainder of last spring and summer being home with our boys, and loving it often. We have watched our German Shepherd puppy go from being a complete nuisance to quite the good family dog. Barrett's grandparents moved up to be with us in August, and after a few months of them staying in a new 5th wheel trailer while we planned and got construction bids on adding onto our home, they decided to move instead to a home in Lebanon. I re-took and finished my CNA certification, and loved it. I also did a very short stint with Samaritan Health Services in the billing department, and the job proved to be a bad choice for our family for many reasons. 

Isaiah began kindergarten in the fall, and much to my delight his teacher says he is doing well and is such a bright boy (I knew that part!). :) He is learning to read, is a whiz at math, and most days seems to really enjoy school. This year we went sledding and there were no broken bones! Seems he has now mastered the jumping off the sled before you hit a tree trick! :) Zay is amazingly fun, insanely cute, and has enough personality for 4 people, let alone one 5 year-old boy. Oh, and he loves getting to ride the bus to school with his big brother now!

Matthew continues to do well in school as a second-grader now at Central Linn Elementary. He has many friends, and even a little "girlfriend" (ha!).  He loves soccer, swimming, and anything Mario (we only let him play Wii games, because they seem so much less violent than other console games, so Mario it is, plus we play as a family and limit his time!). Matt is going to eat us out of house and home far before he is a teenager, and he gives Barrett his breakfast "order" each night before bed for the next day. This year Matthew has joined Cub Scouts, and we are impressed so far with the amount of activities he "has" to do that encourage family time, faith, and independence. 



Barrett has seen a few changes at his job, as he has been moved around this past year to fill various roles, such as editing technical documents and being a team "Tech Lead" to help co-workers solve and stay on top of their cases. It remains a great job for this family. I have to brag on my husband who would never brag on himself, but this past year with diet and exercise he has lost 30 pounds, and is feeling much healthier. 

Together we are doing wonderful, and did get to see a great vacation to Cozumel, Mexico this past April. You can read about that here: Snorkeling with Stingrays and Sea Turtles. We also have a trip coming this February to Oahu, as well as a family vacation to Great Wolf Lodge as well as to Seattle during Spring Break. Can't wait! And I know next summer or fall we are going to California finally to see my family and maybe a few theme parks!

I remain the confused, mysterious one. Just kidding-well, kind of. Ever since before I even left teaching it has been a decision of teaching versus nursing. Actually that has been a conundrum since my freshman year in college. I can tell you that I still think about both. That I can, and am applying to nursing programs this winter for next fall, but I am also considering other paths in education, such as adding a special education endorsement to my teaching license (to work with special education students at the high school level) down the road. Right now, it is about 50-50. Until I know, I may sub or work-part-time as a CNA, or both...or neither. I wish I knew what my future holds, but some plans, even now as I write are still too up in the air to share. I should have some idea by January, and even more of an idea and some finality by June.  I am content this year though in the fact that I am confident good things are coming. I have made a few friends this year that I am glad to know, have gained new skills, and am starting to learn that life isn't always meant to be planned 100% of the way. 


Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment