Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why Schools Fail....Part 2

Is it possible that America is doing something wrong when it comes to education? In my opinion, yes. We begin pressuring our children to read and write, to sit still and listen, and to compete with their peers way too early. We take away the precious years of play and childhood, thinking that if our kids aren't reading by the time they leave kindergarten, there's a huge problem. When I researched boys and learning for my thesis a few years back, I was not surprised that boys over girls are held back more frequently, and one of the reasons is that they are just "not ready" to go on yet. I also learned that in Europe many parents practice a concept called "red-shirting" which is holding their sons out of formal schooling until age 6 or 7. Crazy? Nope. In my opinion, it's smart. Though given the tentative go-ahead for kindergarten, I had Matthew do two years of pre-school and not start kindergarten until he was 6. (Isaiah will start at 5, but since he has an April birthday, it will be truly a late 5 or almost 5 1/2 for him.) What came of that? According to his pre-school teacher, a lot more leadership, self-confidence, and cognitive development (otherwise known as the brain is ready for the next step). We are taking the fun out of school...and YES, learning is supposed to be fun! Sweden does not start formal schooling until age 7, but has an innovative pre-school program focusing not on letters and numbers, but life skills, teamwork and curiosity. Watch the video: Early Years in Sweden.  Some of these are ideas I am trying to implement at home with just Isaiah and I, and Matthew when he is home on Fridays. 

We take away crucial programs, like art, music, library and physical education. This is not doing our kids any favors, whether it looks better on the bottom line or not. There has been oodles of proof that without these programs, kids do not have proper energy outlets, and thus learning is hindered. I was thrilled to learn that Matt's new school has PE everyday and music every other day. They have some Spanish learning, and also a school cooperative garden. They have slightly longer days (not a fan), but a 4 day school week, which means (at least for now) that Matt will get more family time with me and his brother each week, something I think is healthy all the way around. My fears about sending him to a public school have been waylaid for now. 

Last summer, during a teacher training session, our administrators enlightened us about the Finland educational system. This system, which was once a mess, has become a leader in education. They have shorter school days, kids stay with the same teacher for a few years (a practice I highly support!), and they have tons of cooperative and hands-on learning. Wish I could teach there!! Guess what? They also have excellent test scores, so they are indeed doing something right. The video, which I have included below was such a tease-wish schools HERE looked like that. You'd have far less teacher turnover, that's for sure. :)

Do I think American schools need a radical make-over? YES, I do. Shorter days, more creativity, excited teachers...oh, and we need to completely ditch the old assembly line format of education that was adopted in the early 1900's-ish. I for one, would love to see a return to more apprenticeship type learning and community programs. Some schools are doing this right, or at least aspects of it. But we need a complete educational overhaul. There is part of me that wishes I knew where/how to make the changes, because I DO care and am on fire for how much better our schools could be...because then I maybe would've had a different calling. What do you think?

What the US could learn from Finland article: Educational Reform
Amazing/Inspiring and Envy-Inducing, School the Finland Way video: Finland Schools.

4 comments:

  1. It really is a shame. I know that I certainly hated every aspect of school, except for possibly the library and the social aspects.

    But when you let the pigs slop at the trough for long enough without making them work for it, you get Chicago - some of the highest paid teachers, striking because a guaranteed 4% raise every year wasn't good enough, with some of the lowest educational results in the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are more reasons why the Chicago teachers are on strike: http://sardonicus69.tumblr.com/post/31253092832/dear-followers

    But, Sarah, I agree with your points above and in the last post. I would totally go in with you on that new school you're gonna start. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon, the wife said I don't get to engage you on this... darn it! Lol. :)

      But she and I discussed it last night, very politely, mind you! ;)

      Here's my short and simple view: the system is completely broken, and its not fixable. It's also no single entity's fault, although I'd fingerpoint at political correctness and government regulation as the number one causes. I'd also say it's caused by teacher's union greed, the over-administration (too many chiefs, not enough indians) of the districts, and members of the union (the teachers), all of them fighting to swill at the trough for whatever's left.

      There's only so much money to go around!

      There are two or three places you could start cutting costs and reducing obligations right away without firing teachers or cutting their pay, but that won't happen. God forbid we do anything like, you know, rein in the unions, dump the excess administrators, stop the political correctness, or cut back on the government requirements.

      Hopefully that explains my position better. I'm not anti-teacher, but I do think they have some responsibility for the state of public education, as all of the adults in this country do. It just seems that nobody's interested in personal responsibility or accountability anymore.

      Delete
  3. Great link, Devon! I tend to agree with the Chicago teachers (sorry, Babe!). I have yet to meet a teacher that I feel is overpaid or underworked. Granted, I have met some that are just no good at what they do...but that's neither here nor there.

    And I really wish I could start up a school, actually even read the charter start-up guidelines, and while a pain, actually pretty do-able. The problem would be a building, teachers and oh, yeah-students to attend. :)

    ReplyDelete