Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Beauty Products you Can't Live Without!

I love reading in women's magazines annual or seasonal reviews of the best beauty products. Sometimes though, I have to admit that I wind up dismayed by some obscure, hard to find wonder product or the sky-high prices. It got me thinking, what would an average, working mom, like myself, recommend to friends as must have beauty items? So, I took a pad and paper, and wrote down my favorite products by category: hair, nails, body, face, and make-up. I use a lot of products, but  I am not an over-the-top cosmetic user by any means, and while I splurge on some items, many are drugstore prices. If I have splurged, it is worth it (in my opinion)! I have provided helpful links to sites that sell these products, because if you are interested in any, it can be a huge time eater to try to hunt them down. No, I don't make any commission off of any of these brands (nor do I work for Amazon, but I am a Prime member, so free shipping is great!), but I DO love them, and hope you will as well! By each product I described by problem areas as well, so that if you have similar needs, you can see what works, and I listed the normal retail prices.

Hopefully as you make-over your beauty products for summer, you may find a few that are on my list that work wonders for you.

Hair

I have naturally thick, wavy hair. It is NOT soft, more coarse, and it is long. My hair is prone to frizziness and tangles. It is also very dry, and because of this I can get away with washing it just once every 3-4 days (and it looks it's best on the 3rd or 4th day!). I tend to flat-iron it straight, wear it naturally wavy, or put big curls or small spirals in it (I like to change it up!).




Body
I am prone to dry, itchy skin, and it gets irritated pretty easily.




Face
I am beginning to get wrinkles around my eyes and forehead, have combination dry/oily skin, and still break out more often than I would like!


  • Oil of Olay Sensitive Foaming Face Wash ($4.97)-You can't get a better deal than a face wash for less than $5! Takes off make-up, and lathers nicely. I have read in multiple beauty articles that face cleanser does not spend enough time in contact with your skin to make it worth splurging on a name brand one. I believe it.
  • Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair ($21.25)-This is my go-to, everyday moisturizer that I use morning and night. It has SPF 30, and makes my skin feel dewy. I have tried cheaper and MUCH more expensive products, and I love this one.
  • Avon Anew Clinical Line Eraser Treatment ($12.75)-This is for wrinkles, but I use ALL over my face every day after I use my moisturizer.Goes on super smooth, and feels like it creates a nice canvas for make-up.
  • Derma e Hydrating Mist ($15 for 2)- I use this to set my make-up, as well as to refresh my skin 1-2 times a day. It is like a drink of water for dry skin, and helps my make-up not look cakey when my skin gets too dry.
  • ROC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream ($19.97)-I use this nightly, and sometimes in the AM too (but you have to be careful because Retinol makes skin more prone to sunburn). 
  • Mary Kay Clear Proof Acne Treatment Gel ($10)-Seems to minimize break-out time. I'll take it!


Nails
I have strong nails that I can grow pretty long, or I often wear short with bright colors on them as well. I love to experiment with nail color and be creative!


  • Gelish Gel Nail Color ($11-15)- A splurge, but I love gel nails, because they last for up to 3 weeks without chipping, though you have to have your own UV light to set the color (at least with this brand). I honestly use it for pedicures far more than manicures because of how long the polish can last! I tend to want to change my nails after a few days to a week. This is the lamp I use: USpicy Nail Dryer UV Light ($29.99).  I use this monthly, and a pedicure would've cost as much as one month of use! Plus, I enjoy doing my nails. 
  • Julep Nail Color- I just joined the Julep site, and am trying them out. For $19.99/month you get 2 new nail colors and a new beauty product each month.  At first glance that seemed like a splurge until I realized that the random nail colors and make-up I buy each month likely adds up to way more! I received my first month free, and am already in LOVE with the coral and pale blue nail colors that came. The application wand is more user-friendly than many other nail polishes, so- so far so good. 


Make-up
As you can see, I am not loyal to any one brand, though do have some favorites. I like to think that I shoot for a sophisticated but natural make-up look on most days, and glam it up to head out with my hubby or friends. While I do wear make-up on a daily basis, I can be ready (shower, hair, clothes and face) in an hour most days, so I think that's reasonable! I tend to play around with eye shadow colors and liners the most so I listed my favorites. And I ALWAYS use an eyelash curler.

  • Tarte Amazonian Clay Full-Coverage Foundation with SPF-at $38 this is a bit of a splurge for me, but the foundation transforms the look of my skin, and I can determine how light or how heavy I make it with the included kabuki brush. LOVE. Though not waterproof, even seems to still have light coverage after swimming in a pool or ocean.
  • Cover Girl Invisible Concealer ($5.94)-inexpensive, all-day coverage of under-eye circles and blemishes. 
  • Mary Kay Translucent Loose Powder ($16)-I use over foundation for a polished look. A little lasts a long time!
  • Mary Kay Mineral Bronzing Powder ($18)-I use year-round! This is a build-able color for a sun-kissed look. It also makes skin look dewy/luminous. 
  • Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Blush-a bit of a splurge ($26), but I love blush! I am too fair/pale/washed out without blush. If I had to only wear 2 products (why, I would do that, who knows??), it would be blush and mascara. I use Blissful color. And it does last all day!
  • Bare Minerals Glimpse or Glimmer Eye Shadows ($14)-Glimpse shadows have some sparkle, and glimmer are full of sparkle. My favorite shades are: Celery (a luminous light green), Chameleon (a peacock teal blue), Hyacinth (shimmery lavender), and Lust (shimmery silver/grey). 
  • Almay Intense i Color Smoky i kit For Greens ($7.99)-I love playing up my green eyes, and the shades in this are perfect!


*** I do have to add that I use a white eyeliner to line the inside corner (by the tear ducts) of my eyes, but it is so worn I could not see the brand! I think any white liner would do to make eyes look more awake though.





What products are must-haves for you??






No comments:

Post a Comment