Friday, December 20, 2013

10 Things I Won't Apologize For

I saw another blog this morning with a list of 10 things that the writer felt, believed, or simply was with that title: "10 Things I Won't Apologize For", and I thought that I need to write my own out as well. What a great exercise in defining the things that matter to you (whether silly or serious), and sharing it with others. I would love to see your list, and if you can't think of 10, give me 5, or 3! I enjoy reading other responses. 

So here it goes. These are 10 things that I will not apologize for. :)

1. The fact that Barrett and I spend LOTS of time together.
I have surprisingly gotten many negative comments in the past on the fact that my husband and I are pretty inseparable when we can be. We love being together and will both gladly choose to accompany the other in doing just about anything so that we can be together. We go to bed at the same time at night, we choose hanging with each other over hanging with friends quite a bit, and we text A LOT. I have heard comments such as "You two are attached at the hip", "You should do things apart more often" (to this I say why?), and "it's just a phase-you're newlyweds"-and to this I say we have known each other for 3 years this January, and if anything, we spend even more time together. How long are people considered newlyweds for??  Google and Yahoo both say 1 year. This is the way we choose to be a couple. With the exception of the boys and maybe 20 relatives and/or friends, we'd both be happy on a deserted island away from the world. I have no problem with how much time you and your significant other spend together or apart-and that being said, I will not apologize for the time mine and I spend together. 

2. That expensive coffee is simply better for me. 
Last summer I gave up coffee (eek!!!) because I was having major stomach issues that I attributed to it after cutting out everything else first (I did not want to give up coffee). In the last few months I have been drinking coffee again, and have discovered something. The "gourmet" flavored coffee grounds versus Folgers in a huge can, do not upset my stomach (and this explains the years I drank it just fine)-but the cheaper grounds do...a lot. So be it, my coffee costs a bit more, but doesn't make me sick for hours on end each morning, and I will take that. We think it is due to the level of acidity, and could also explain why the "fancy $4 coffees" from like Starbucks, etc. also do not upset my stomach.

3. That I like pretty things. 
I realize it sounds air-headed, but I am not sorry. Pretty clothes, jewelry, makeup, shoes, purses, scarves, fresh flowers, and home decor items make me happy. I do not go overboard, BUT yes, retail therapy does indeed work wonders for me. 'Nuff said. 

4. That I talk to my pets. 
Does anyone NOT do this?? I have entire conversations with Max and Clarissa, though not Mr. Fishy or the chickens (hey, I have my limits). Mind you, these are not serious conversations, but I do indeed talk to them. I think it's good, and they seem to like it. :)

5. That I am fiercely protective of my loved ones, and the causes I care about.
I am not an easy-going person, surprise there, but I am easy to get along with for the most part. But you threaten my boys' sense of security in any way, speak bad about my parents or my Barrett, or in rarer (but indeed possible) cases argue against one of the few hot topics that I really have an opinion on (education, abortion, animal rescue, and the right to a dignified death to name a few...), and I will come at you like an avenging angel/banshee on fire, screeching all the way, claws ready. And I am not sorry for that. We should all have passions we would fight for. 

6. That I don't care about politics. 
I know, I am almost afraid to write that. I DO care about being informed (but not overly so), and I mostly care about just living a good life, a life that I can be proud of when it comes to the end. I will admit that in some cases that can overlap with what is going on politically, and that is normally when I become interested. But every issue, every lying politician, every possible change to laws, taxation, etc...I just don't really care. 

7. That though I am a reader girl, I will read what I like. 
I am not a classics girl. I cannot tell you the number of times I have decided to read a classic novel, and not been able to get through the first few chapters without feeling like I was dying from boredom. I used to actually feel really guilty about this. I like my literature as far from reality as it comes. I love YA dystopic fiction.  I love to read, and I read to escape, so I will not apologize for choosing the likes of Harry Potter, Sookie Stackhouse, Clary Fray, and the House of Night books over classic lit. Now, that being said, there are some great "classic-ish?" novels that I have loved such as Brave New World.  Also, as part of this, I will not spend time trying to finish a book I just am not enjoying. Life is too short.

8. The fact that I will likely never be a size 2 again.
I have talked about some weight struggles on here before, and I am proud to say that through Weight Watchers I have lost 16 pounds since the end of summer. I will also admit that I could likely have lost 20-25, but I LOVE food, and I am within a healthy weight range again. So, yeah...I will give up the dreams of being size 2 for a size 6 that has food she likes within reason. ;)

9. My belief that exercise is like a huge multivitamin. 
By this I mean that there are certain things we do simply because they are good for us, but not necessarily because we enjoy them. I do not love exercising. Usually I loathe it. Sometimes I am glad I did it...but honestly, I will take the couch and a good book any day over the treadmill. I won't always choose that though, because like green beans, exercise is good for me...but I don't have to like it. For those of you that love to run (this is alien to me), I am happy for you, but I am also not sorry that I don't have any aspirations, ever (EVER) of running in a marathon. Ever. Okay, you get my point. 

But I would be happy to hike, Rollerblade, swim, or walk with you.

10. My supposed lack of direction.
I just left a job after 2 1/2 weeks. I should likely be sorry for this, but I am not. I am a grown woman, and it is up to me to make decisions on things that work for my family and things that don't-as well as what works for me. I am qualified to teach as well as to be a nursing assistant. I can build on my education in either direction or not at all. I used to really have guilt about not knowing what I should do with my life, but lately I am much calmer about this. I have many options, and you never know where I might end up. Every twist and turn has taught me something about myself as well as about others, and when I do decide what path to take this information with be incredibly valuable. Oh, and I am more than welcome to change my mind. I am a woman after-all, and one with many interests. 

What 10 things will you not apologize for?

No comments:

Post a Comment