Friday, April 5, 2013

Today, I am Captain America! (Looking at life through the eyes of your children)

Yesterday my little Isaiah woke up cheerfully (this doesn't always happen), and went to get dressed announcing, "Today, I am Captain America!" A few minutes later, he came out of his room fully regaled in his Halloween costume complete with fake muscles. Barrett (who was working at home) teased me that I was "letting" Zay wear his costume, and reminded me that just a few years ago I would have told him to wear something normal. I am so glad that I have made progress in this, as I realize (like the saying) normal is boring.


If only grown-ups could see the world the way a child does, so full of wonder, hope, and possibility. At what age do most of us give away pieces of ourselves so that we can conform to what we think others want? And why don't we stop and realize that usually-no one is looking at us anyway, because they too are worrying what others think of them? I am 31 years old, and I am just beginning to have the same attitude as my 4 year-old son: this is me, and I like me, so you don't have to. 

For the last month we have been "growing" butterflies in our house. We watched five tiny caterpillars get big,  each one would then hang in a 'J' shape and form it's own chrysalis, and then they hatched into beautiful Painted Lady butterflies. We decided it was time to release them, and while both boys were intrigued, little Isaiah grinned as the butterflies took flight, one stopping to land on his outstretched hand. Two though, wouldn't fly. Their wings must not have formed completely right, but the butterflies were happy to crawl out and climb on the flowers we placed nearby. Isaiah took care to bring "his" butterflies handfuls of fresh flowers, orange slices (we read they like these), and even rocks to sit on! He built those two butterflies a very nice home of sorts. Finally, we headed inside. The next morning Isaiah came in just close to tears, "Mommy the butterflies are GONE!" he cried. There was so much heartbreak in that little voice, and I knelt down on his level and explained that this was a good thing, we had wanted them to explore (see, the boys and I had talked a lot about how short butterflies' lifespans were, and how we wanted them to see the world). Isaiah ran off to play, reassured. 

As adults we are so quick to criticize ourselves, so quick to temper what we say and do, and so quick to worry what others will think. While some of this is wisdom, some of it is plain old fear that we will look dumb. Perhaps we should take a few cues from our children:


  • Live in the moment.
  • Be who you want to be.
  • Express yourself.
  • Share your passions.
  • Calm yourself quickly and move on.
And maybe today is your day to exclaim, "I am Captain America!"  I think we all need those days. 

1 comment:

  1. I want to be Iron Man. Or War Machine. Or something....

    Those butterflies were seriously cool. I think we should do that again. :) Are there other varieties???

    ReplyDelete