Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Passionate Mom

I know my readers are busy, and I truly understand that and am glad you stopped by. Recently I enjoyed a book so much that I just have to mention it to you, so I will keep this short and sweet. 

The Passionate Mom, is a novel by Susan Merrill, the director of  iMom (A Family First website with TONS of helpful parenting tips, printables, etc.). Susan takes readers on a journey through both the book of Nehemiah (last book in Old Testament) and her own personal struggles and triumphs as a mother of four. I will honestly admit that I am wary of books that try (and fail) to apply Biblical books to their own passionate agenda. Most of the time these books are chock-full of scripture that only weakly (if at all) mirror the message the author is trying to convey. Don't get me wrong, I think the Bible definitely has a part in books, especially on ones about families, but I also think that many people do it wrong. She doesn't. I came away impressed by the book itself that is full of practical ways to examine your own motherhood (flaws and successes), stories that will make you honestly laugh out loud or cringe in empathy, useful ways to make changes and apply them to your parenting repertoire, and a new-found understanding of the story of Nehemiah, who carefully, prayerfully and passionately leads his people to the rebuilding of their wall (and hence their personal safety) while renewing their faith. Wow!

Suffice it to say that I enjoyed the book, which I got to pre-read and even discuss with the author, in a group online. This book would make an excellent book club or Bible study book to discuss, or is great to read on your own. I think reading and discussing it with other moms would be the best way to get the most out of it, and have decided to offer to lead an online book group if you are interested in joining me?? The book will be available 4/16, and you can pre-order on many websites (Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, etc.) 

Let me know if you are interested in reading and discussing this book (I may be able to get a discounted price for a book study). You can comment on here, email me at sarahbrice11@gmail.com, or comment on Facebook. The chapters are short enough for busy moms, but deep enough that you feel you get something from them. 

Until next time.

1 comment: