Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lizards and Snake, Oh My! Arrival in Cozumel

If you count the time it took to drive to Portland as well, Barrett and I began traveling at 5:00 on Friday and arrived at our resort at 11:00 AM (our time) the next day. We had spent 18 hours in some form of driving, flying, and waiting for departures. Suffice it  to say that we were exhausted, and the less than three hours of sleep that we managed to catch on the overnight flight was just barely helping (though it did keep us standing!). How do people sleep on planes?? I can only offer my greatest sympathies to taller men and women, because I am short, and I end up feeling SO confined and cramped. Plus, I like to curl up on my side and sleep at night, so maybe back sleepers have it easier trying to sleep sitting up? Anyhow, our flights were all on time, and despite the fact that I can safely say we hated the airport in Charlotte, NC, we safely arrived in Cozumel to navigate the 40 minute (which is actually not too bad) snaking customs line.

We just barely escaped the man in the airport desperately trying to sell us excursions to make it onto our shuttle to resort (AKA: The Death Cab...just nod and smile if you have ever witnessed tour driving in Mexico!). I am pretty sure posted speed limits and traffic devices are merely just suggestions here, and it was the same thing when I was in Cancun a few years back. Anyway, we arrived at Secrets Aura Cozumel, and were greeted with a cool glass of champagne, a smelly good cool washcloth and the attendants saying "Welcome home." What a nice first impression! Our room was not quite ready (as we were earlier than check-in), but it was almost done, and they checked us right into the resort, getting us all set up to go explore and have lunch. At this resort there are four restaurants, and also four next door at the sister resort. So far, the food has ranged from mediocre to really good, depending on what is ordered. Barrett really enjoyed his hamburger and then eggs this morning, and I have enjoyed chicken fajitas with nachos, and a frozen mocha this morning complete with chocolate whipped cream on top (call me naive, I didn't know there was such a thing as chocolate whipped cream!). All food and drinks are included, which is so relaxing, and though neither of us are big drinkers (I know that is the appeal to many people here), we did enjoy a little ditty called Dirty Monkey last night to ensure sleep found us. :)

Our room was the biggest surprise as of yet! We had booked through a 50% off sale on Orbitz, after agreeing with one another what mattered on our vacation (snorkeling, relaxing, swimming, dining), and had no idea what the standard room would be like that was on sale with our particular package. We were happy to learn it is ocean view. Our room is gorgeous. The bedroom is separate in a little room, and the pillows and mattress are to die for (though I think we could have slept on rocks last night). There is a separate living room with flat-screen tv, a mini-fridge stocked with various drinks, a walk-in tile shower complete with circular window that looks out onto living room and thus through the sliding glass doors to the balcony and ocean. Our private balcony has a ceiling fan, table and chairs, as well as a bed (no joke!) in case we would like to sleep in the open air. Wow!

Last night we (in our exhausted haze) agreed to a time-share breakfast this morning, but thankfully we were able to respectfully (as much as possible) cancel this AM after getting 12 1/2 hours of sleep! Excited to go snorkel the resort beaches today. We may take an excursion for reef snorkeling later in the week. There are three pools as well, complete with slides, a lazy river and bridges to swim under. Pretty cool. My favorite parts so far? There are iguanas and anoles everywhere as you walk the resort (I like lizards) and musical sounding birds. We even saw a black blind snake (Google it)-it is a tiny snake that has no head (or nothing that looks like a head), about the size of a millipede (a small one), but wiggles, and is a snake. I thought that was pretty cool, and we looked it up once back in our room.

My most favorite part is my husband. Barrett was not crabby to me once though we were both ready to drop, and there is nothing rushed feeling at all. He is content to read next to me while I blog, and to try everything out with me.

I was (I can't believe this!!!) homesick yesterday right after we arrived when my mom texted and said both boys scored goals yesterday and both their soccer teams won. Aww...


No comments:

Post a Comment