Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How to Be Happy, Part 2

Welcome back! Make sure you check out How to be Happy, Part 1.

In case you are new here, as I am starting to really branch out, let me tell you a tiny bit about me. Those of you that read me daily A) Thank you! and B) You can skip to the next paragraph. :) I am currently a stay-at-home-mom (for the first time ever!) to two sons as well as a substitute teacher. I take roughly a job a week on average and cherry-pick the jobs I get (hey, subs are somewhat in need in my area). I am a licensed teacher, and I have been accepted into a school counseling program to begin this coming fall. I am happily married, and I love to read, write and do crafts with my kids. You can follow me here, and on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/sarahbrice11/.

Now, we were talking about (or at least I was) how to be happy. First of all, there is a simple saying that it has taken me 31 years to learn how to follow: Happiness is a Choice. No really, it is so true. We can choose to be happy no matter what we are doing. Are you on your fourth load of laundry today? Cleaning up (again) after a child? Cooking dinner for the 118th night in a row? Are you dealing with someone you have a genuine liking problem (as in you don't) with? Take a deep breath...now, smile. Did you know that the simple act of smiling has actually been proven to make you slightly happier? Think of it as exercise for your face...and your soul. 

This is going to seem like a simple list, and I tried to keep it that way. This gives you a starting point. Anyone can do any of these things and feel better as soon as possible. I suggest you choose a few to do today, and get a move on. Make the choice to BE HAPPY.


  1. Pray. Each day talk to God...but here's the key, take time to THANK Him. Counting your blessings in this way will make them more obvious to you.
  2. Smile (like I said).
  3. Put on an upbeat song while you do housework, cook, or exercise. I promise it'll go faster.
  4. Exercise. Daily. I know you are supposed to take a day off or whatever, but I'm not talking running a marathon, I am saying just do something each day. Start small. Aim for 20-30 minutes. Once this becomes a habit, aim for this twice a day.
  5. Touch. Hug the people you love, your spouse, your kids, your parents, your friends. Touch has been known to make us feel better.
  6. Do something you love for 15 minutes. Again, start small if you think you don't have the time, and work up to a few hours a week. This could be reading quietly, playing a video-game  doing a craft, taking pictures, you name it.
  7. Pet your dog or cat. This is that touch thing again. Studies have shown that petting an animal releases chemicals in our body that make us more relaxed (it actually lowers blood pressure!), and make us happier.
  8. Take a hot bath or shower. This is a way to just escape the hectic nature of life for awhile, and if you are like me-feeling clean helps you relax.
  9. Pursue something you enjoy. This can happen in many ways. Plan a vacation (even if you can't take it for awhile), take a class, volunteer for a cause you believe in...etc. Pleasureful activities release serotonin in the brain...making us happier.
  10. Help someone else. This could have been higher on the list...but I wrote them as I was thinking of them. Joyfully cook your loved ones' favorite meal, run a bubble bath for them, etc. Give of yourself. 
  11. Okay I know I said 10...but this is important: Surround yourself with beauty. Whether this means candles, flowers and deep colors like in my home or vibrant modern art for you...make your home your sanctuary. It will make you happy to be in it.

1 comment:

  1. Great posts, Sarah. I am glad you are happy! Whenever I get annoyed with life, God reminds me of a little song from Veggietales... "thank you God, for this day, for the sun in the sky, for my mom, and my dad, for my piece of apple pie, for our home on the ground, for the love that's all around. That's why I give thanks everyday!"

    ReplyDelete