Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sometimes, you just need a break.

Often, life moves too fast. The household chores, daily tasks, being a parent and being a spouse can sometimes all take too much a toll on our well-being. Throw in not feeling well, and  an extra errand or a surprise emergency ("hey mom-did I tell you I need cupcakes for tomorrow?"), and you have a recipe for irritability, exhaustion and (hopefully temporary) a bit of depression. Things we normally wanted and often enjoy, like being married and being a parent-can actually be stressful too. Too many people are afraid to say that, afraid that admitting that of course life would be easier as a single, childless person. It doesn't mean that we don't want what we have, it just means that the reality is that even the biggest blessings can add up to stress sometimes. 

Let's take parenting for starters. Making meals, packing backpacks for school, policing the cleanliness of bedrooms and of the children themselves, and taxi-ing kids to their various activities (that we sign them up for so that they can be well-rounded), can be stressful. I love my Isaiah bug so much, but it is true that this week while he visits with his grandmother, and that Barrett and I have only Matthew, seems much slower paced, quieter, and well....easy. :) I miss him, I really do, but it is kind of peaceful. Matthew is, and has almost always been, my easy child. He is a people pleaser, over-achiever, typical first-born. This morning, however, in a rush of carelessness (that I wish happened less often), he grabbed for his lunch haphazardly, knocking over a raw egg onto the kitchen floor. Then he stood right in the way crying and apologizing as Barrett (now very irritated!) tried to clean it up. He was excited that mom got to take him to school this AM, and meet his new teacher, and I feigned my own excitement, patience and general "mommyness" all morning. Oh, I may have been excited to do these things yesterday, but today was a different story. 

I woke up with the cold that both my boys came home with:nose tingling, throat aching and head pounding (anything sinusy aggravates my migraines...of course). Instead of waking up and getting on the exercise bike, which is now the habit, I proceeded to hit snooze 3 times, and snuggle closer to Barrett, at one point letting him get up to take out the new puppy. I groused about the dishes in the kitchen that were all over the counters, because Barrett made cookies last night. I reminded him I wouldn't have time to do them, as I had to study, do a lab report, go to class, deal with the puppy, and ferry Matthew to soccer practice (feel free to throw in any other things I have to do today to add to my martyrdom), as well as snapping that he didn't have a right to be mad at Matthew-that it was an accident after all. 

That's when marriage can become exhausting too. Do I stress all morning about getting on to my sweet husband? Is he down? Is he angry at me? I really do care, even though at times I really suck at showing it. Barrett has picked up SO much of the day-to-day tasks so that I can focus on these classes, that he really deserves some sort of trophy (like a nice one, not the fake crappy ones they give to little league teams) for being the best husband in the universe. 

I am reminded that I am blessed. While today I may not feel like doing anything I have to do, I know that I am loved by my husband, children and parents. I have blessings galore. I also know that it's acceptable to feel this way sometimes. Sometimes life drags us along, never slowing, never asking if we are ready for a breather...so we have to create those stops ourselves. I skipped exercise today. It won't kill me, and Barrett will have dinner waiting after I taxi to and from soccer practice. Tonight, whether I feel up to it or not, I will study for my finals on Friday-glad that the end is thisclose.  For now, I will heed the advice (and you should too), that Alexander's mom gives him in the story Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (GREAT book!). You see, Alexander has the worst day ever, and keeps telling his mom he should just move to Australia. She says, "Some days are like that. Even in Australia."



1 comment:

  1. I don't deserve a trophy. I lost my patience.

    I do my best to pull my weight and take care of any extra things that come up.

    It's disheartening to have an open tupperware full of eggs dumped onto the ground from 3 feet up, but he didn't deserve me getting mad at him for it.

    ReplyDelete