Monday, September 24, 2012

Why, Hello Officer!

Ever notice how, no matter what you are doing, the second you see a cop driving near you, you think you must be guilty. It's as if our minds scream out in a perpetually cheerful voice, "Why, hello Officer, I didn't see you there! Top of the morning to you!" (because apparently I turn dorky and Irish). You turn into the perfect driver, hands at two and ten on the wheel, looking straight ahead, and doing a perfect speed limit. "Observe Officer, I am going 27 mph in the 25 zone. See, I don't want to hold traffic up, but I am a law-abiding citizen. I also figured that going exactly 25 mph might tip you off to look at me more, so I am nonchalantly driving a risky 2 miles over the speed limit." I know that a good chunk of the time, especially in town, I have nothing to worry about. I am a careful driver, and I am likely going pretty close to the recommended speed guidelines (okay, okay laws, but I tend to see them as guidelines, lol!).

 Sometimes though, it's a toss up. "No Officer, I would never look at my phone, apply my lipstick or work on training the perfect Pandora station while driving my vehicle..."  I will say that my driving has gotten a lot better, but perhaps slightly too aggressive thanks to the trade up from a mini-van to my Charger. Barrett swears to me that if I get pulled over, the excuse that I give him: "But my car is most comfortable at 80," will not amuse a police officer. I suppose not. Though, my car does handle best on the freeway at that speed. :) And finally, "No, Officer, I have never gone out on a country road to see how fast my car can go," (because I'm sure it can actually go much faster than the 130 mph I got it to!), "but if I did, I can assure you that I'd be by myself and you'd be nowhere to be seen!"

What are your driving confessions?

1 comment:

  1. Doing 150-ish on my GSXR...
    Working on a laptop, texting, and driving, all at the same time...
    Passing a County Sheriff on a country road going way too fast, waiting till he's around the bend behind me, then speeding up in case he does decide to turn around...

    The key to most traffic cop situations is to not act guilty... when you pass a cop going 10 over, he's going to be more interested when you hit the brakes hard to scrub off speed, then if you had just eased out of the throttle, paid no attention to him, and continued past while slowly losing speed.

    Also, staring directly at him, sudden lane changes, etc are all signs of guilt.

    Just act like he's not there and drive normal and sedate.

    ReplyDelete