Friday, September 21, 2012

A Different Kind of Christmas

Today I began Christmas shopping. There are only 94 days until it is here. I started with just a few small things for the boys, and got out my iPhone to take pictures of a couple of things I liked that may be good ideas (has anyone seen the Lite Brite Cube?).  Then I headed to Barrett's work and we went to Chinese food for lunch together. During the almost hour long drive (I was in Albany when I started), I started to think a lot about Christmas, not just the regular thoughts about budgeting for gifts and what everyone really wants this year, but thoughts about what I can teach my kids and my family about Christmas. The boys know the meaning of Christmas, and could probably tell you the story better than I can, but I started to think that while they know why we celebrate it, the how of it makes it not much different than a birthday (one of their's not Jesus' you smarties). There's food, presents and time with family. If we are lucky and are attending a church (see my other post on that!), then there is maybe a really great church service/program or two. I'm not sure that does Christmas justice, and furthermore, I am beginning to think that I have been missing some really great teaching opportunities with my kids. 
 
After discussing with and getting approval from Barrett, I decided this year would be a bit different. We will set our gift limit for the children, then we will take a set amount out of it for each boy and let them decide where to donate that money to. Mind you, they will still get presents, but a couple fewer. I have narrowed their choices to the following 5 charities, so that there are not too many choices: Humane Society of the United States, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, American Red Cross, Operation Homefront, & Children's Hunger Fund. I am going to print a logo or photo of each charity and sit the boys down and explain what they do. We will have a small chat about how we have been very blessed to have all that we have, and that there are many others who do not have the same things. Then after they decide, and closer to Christmas, Barrett and I will make the donations and wrap up (very fancily, mind you!) the cards that they will each receive from the charity. I am hoping this will make them more aware of the ways of the world, of helping others, and that they will be proud to share with their extended family and friends what they chose to give money to. 

I have also decided that a little volunteering is in order for both Matthew and mom. He is old enough to tag along with me to volunteer at many places, so again, I am going to give him a few options I can live with (!), and make it something we do 1-2 times a month. I think it will be a great gateway to talking to him more about this subject, and just to cultivating the compassion I'd like both boys to grow to have. 

If you like either idea, here are a few helpful sites you could explore:

2 comments:

  1. www.samaritanspurse.org/occ/ is a good idea too cuz the boys can pick out small things they would like for a boy their own age. We have done those boxes for several years and include toothbrushes and toothpaste along w/ toys from the Dollar Store. There are a few restrictions (no liquids and a few other things). You can pick up boxes at Community Chapel in Sweet Home if no where else locally.
    Also, you notice I always do the "anonymous?" That's cuz it takes more than 2 seconds to figure out the other ways to post. :-)
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's a great idea. Yes, I've noticed you are "anonymous", lol! One of these days you should just sign up. :)

    ReplyDelete