Monday, September 24, 2012

More on Church

Yesterday we checked out a church in our area. The people were very kind and friendly, and the church itself was pretty but understated. There were shelves full of books you could check out, which I thought was pretty neat (and yes, I have seen that before). About ten minutes into the service I was the one who needed bamboo (see my previous post Finding the Perfect Church). Every worship song was a hymnal. Now- I've been "lectured" about this before. Hymns are important, especially to the older and more traditional crowd. That's fine, and I can do a few, but all of the songs were hymns, and I didn't enjoy that part at all.

The pastor was a better speaker than many I had heard, and the message was out of Hosea, and about how God made him an action sermon basically to show His mercy to us. Pretty good. Barrett did ok. He was the perfect, willing husband, but when I caught him reading Revelations I knew something was up. First I thought, oh, good! Maybe he's into this.... But no, as he would later explain (and by this point I'd guessed as much), "Revelations is the most interesting book."

Next weekend we will be flying to southern California only to stay with his family a night or two and then drive the awful 14+ hours back, since we bought his grandmother's Ford Explorer, and have to get it home:). But perhaps the following weekend we will visit somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment