Wednesday, September 19, 2012

7 Years for My Miracle...and Counting

I would be remiss if I did not blog about one of the most important, and life-changing events in my life, and that is my Matthew. Seven years ago tonight he entered this world, making me a mom. I dug out his baby book this morning, and looked at the pictures (first of my sickly looking preemie baby, but then of my chubby toddler). In 2005, when Matthew was born, a gallon of gas was just $2.41, and The DaVinci Code and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire had just come out. :)

On Matt's first birthday, I wrote him a letter to read when he turns 18. I am thinking of adding another for him as well as for Isaiah too. I hope they will find them special. I have decided to share what I wrote for him  before his first birthday in 2006.

Scoring a Goal!

Dear Matthew, 
Happy eighteenth birthday my son!

As I write this, it is just twelve days before your first birthday, and what a year it has been! You went from being a tiny five-pound, premature baby to a strong, healthy and very bright little boy in just the blink of an eye. I am sure the from now until I give you this when you become a man will be just another blink away. I wanted to write to you so that you will know about your early days, as I am sure you will not remember! :)

You are a bundle of energy for sure, crawling at hyper-speed, dancing (or bouncing) to music, exploring books, and eating everything in sight! You love your bath-time, and walks in the field with Papa. You giggle like crazy when Daddy tickles and wrestles you, and cling to Nana when you are tired. You are the star of all our eyes, and very, very loved. I call you Mattie and my little bug, and smother you with hugs and kisses. I know the time will come when you are too big for that, and when being around me is not such a treat. For now though, your face lights when I walk in the room, and at this moment in time, I am your hero.

Your dad and I waited for five years of marriage before deciding to start a family. When we decided we were ready, it had been a tough year. My cousin, Windy, had been diagnosed with leukemia, and Nan (your great-grandmother), had been diagnosed with brain cancer. Nan had surgery in hopes of removing her tumor, just days before Windy passed. I prayed for a miracle, a glimmer of hope in such a sad time. That same week we found out I was pregnant with you! How excited we were for you! Being pregnant was like the anticipation of Christmas, only better.

You came 4 1/2 weeks early, and gave us quite the scare for awhile, but that is another story, and I imagine you will think this letter is already long! You did get to meet Nan, for a few months before she too, passed on. Even though the chemo had made her very weak, and her strokes made her unable to communicate well, she would smile and try to talk to you. You would gaze up at her and touch her face. I think that you were a bright light to her, an angel in her time of need. 

As you turn one, I dream of the many years I hope to spend with you. I don't have great ambitions for you, at least not in the way of career or money. I know you will accomplish whatever you set out to do. I just want a life of love and happiness for you. I want you to know that I will always love you, and I will be here to talk whenever. Thank you, Mattie, for making me a mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment