Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cocooning

First off, my apologies to my readers that I have not written in a few days. The trip to Camarillo (California) was a good one. Though way too quick, we got to see Barrett's grandparents and family friends (we call them cousins:)). We had a good time, and I was able to really connect with the two people that mean the world to my husband. His grandparents are amazing. I have taken a particular liking to his grandfather, who is intelligent, quiet, and creative. Jim does pottery, draws and paints. We have a handful of his paintings in our home, and they are beautiful. Awhile back I had expressed to Barrett that someday I'd love to take an art class, or two or three and try my hand at drawing and painting. You see, I think like an artist- I see the lines, the shades, contrasts and textures, but before when I have tried, I have failed miserably. Barrett mentioned this to Jim of course, and how excited he was to potentially have someone he can pass his interest on to. Jim showed me through all his art books and supplies, insisting that I take a handful home. He told me you start with drawing in pencil, and do it as often as you can, but "don't let it get in the way of your studies," he admonished a handful of times. He told me that like anything else, you practice, and you can get better. The best piece of advice he had for me though was to draw what I am interested in, not to feel like I had to master everything. I told him trees, leaves and nature in general. He sent me away with 5 books, 2 sketch pads, and a set of charcoal pencils. Yesterday in my quiet time, I drew. I drew a tree and a small building in the park, a flower and a maple leaf. And you know what? While it wasn't perfect-it was decent. You can look at the drawings and know what they are! So, that's a start. :) Jim also talked to me about literature, and he's been starting a collection of beautifully bound classics for our family. He told me he knows the boys are way too young to read them themselves right now, but he hopes we can have family reading nights where Barrett and I take turns reading pages of the books to the boys. I loved the idea and was so touched. What an awesome thing to do instead of watching tv! It's also a great way to have discussions and introduce the boys to vocabulary they may not have ever heard. The time in California was fleeting but precious, and the way back was actually really nice too.

14 hours in the car with my husband, and not only did I not hate it, but I actually enjoyed it. Much to sweet Barrett's chagrin I had purchased two books for couples called 101 Questions for Couples and 101 More Questions for Couples. Barrett was afraid the questions would be things we may fight over, or even that I'd discover something about him I didn't like. Neither was the case. The questions were great and spawned hours upon hours of conversation, leading only to a deeper love and respect for my partner in life.

I am feeling quiet, perhaps the reason for less blogging. I call this "cocooning" in my head, anyway. Life is full of peaks and valleys, and my personality is as well. Sometimes I withdraw, but I am not unhappy. This is the part of me content to spend a whole day reading, writing (or maybe drawing?), to observe the world around me with little interaction, and to think deeply about anything and everything. Sometimes the cocoon lasts only a day, and sometimes for months on end, but it is refreshing and recharging, and necessary, at least for me. I hope your days are going well. I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, think you have the makings of an excellent artist.

    It's not as if Einstein came up with the theory of relativity the first time he cracked a science book.

    :)

    It was an excellent trip, and I wish it had only been longer and had less driving. You were an excellent navigator/copilot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Nan was an artist.....so it does run in the family.

    Love

    ReplyDelete