Tuesday, October 23, 2012

And Then There Was One...

Today was rough in more ways than one, but the one that I will share is the phone call from Chemeketa Community College about me transferring in credits. Not only will they not accept my psychology course (even though the subject is what my BS is in!), but they apparently have a weird, and unpublished way of counting. They will not take my Microbiology course because it was taken over 7 years ago. The way they count...in some weird, made-up, random way. I took the course in Spring 2006. Last time I checked we are in the year 2012. Do the math. 6 years? Yes. 7? Ummm....no. I am no mathematician, but huh? I asked the lady to double and triple check. "Oh, we count years from the summer, and so that would be the cut off." Me:. "Okay...but I took it in the Spring of 2006.." Her: "Yeah, I checked, that won't count." Holding back tears I told her that perhaps that should be better explained in their application checklist, and if it had been I would have taken it (again) this Fall. Now it is too late to take for applying for next Fall's nursing program. SIGH. I text Barrett-Please call me. And he calls me from work and comforts me, agreeing about the complete idiocy of the program. To top matters off I had a not-that-pleasant phone call with Breckenridge Nursing in Portland. I had heard that they tried to accommodate people on getting clinicals closer to home, and was okay with the idea of the awful commute twice a week...but it turns out that not only will they not take most of my credits in transfer, but the lady explained, "Oh, we could never promise that. Our program is Portland based. Welcome to nursing." I was thinking some pretty unkind words in my head, but politely told her that their program was not for me. 

I am so angry. It is not like I graduated from some diploma mill. I went to a highly ranked university, and worked my butt off and did well. Grrrr! Growly noises all around. This leaves Lane and only Lane for my RN application. While it is my first choice anyhow, my chances are not fantastic. I am wondering if I should somehow hedge my bets so to speak and also apply for their LPN (licensed practical nurse) program and RT (respiratory therapist) program...as they have similar prerequisites. I hate the waiting game. On a weird hunch today I contacted Northwest Christian University in Eugene about their School Counseling and Licensed Professional Counselor programs...and yes, I am totally qualified to apply, my past experience garners me a level of respect, and I'd be looking at the same time frame (2-3) years. Sigh again. All I can wonder is if I made the wrong call? But I am gritting my teeth, applying to Lane in January...and will know something by March...

No comments:

Post a Comment