Friday, August 30, 2013

Making Weight Watchers Actually Work for You

Two weeks into Weight Watchers PointsPlus Program, and I am very pleased so far. I have lost 5 lbs, and my husband has lost a whopping 16!! He tells me he has a lot more to lose, so it's such a shock for his system to be on such a restricted diet that the weight is falling off faster. This time around though, I do not feel (too much!) like I am starving to death, and I don't feel (too much!) like I am not allowed to eat yummy things. Of course anyone eating healthier will probably admit that there are things that they just have to avoid. This may be because they know they can't just have a little bit, or because the food is so bad that it should rarely be eaten anyway.

The points system is way friendlier to me than many of the free calorie counting programs, because I am not a number person. I don't really want to add calories, or deal with large numbers. My numbers/points never leave double digits, and I can do that math in my head. I also like that the points inadvertently teach you what is better for you. Sometimes I will look up the points on a food that I want and be so shocked by how bad it is that I no longer even want it. Can we say Dairy Queen Blizzard for 31 points?!

Anyhow, I wanted to show you what a fairly normal day for me looks like on the plan, as well as share some tips that I use to stave off hunger and to stay active and proactive about being healthy. I really think this time we are doing this right. The plan is becoming a life style, not a list of things we can't do, but a guideline for how we should live.

First off, I am short, 5'2 1/2, and I had only 25-35 lbs to lose (I am giving the range because I will see how I feel in 20 lbs from now). This means that I get the lowest amount of daily points known to WW, which is 26 (this is roughly 1,300 calories a day, but fruits and vegetables don't count so take that with a huge grain of salt!). Before when I tried the plan I was always hungry, but I was making poor choices based on old habits. Each week I also have 49 bonus points and usually rack up another 15 or so Activity Points. I don't use all the bonus points or the activity points, though I do splurge on one meal one day each week. I also try not to use my entire 26 points each day, and that has made a difference from me maybe losing .5 lbs a week (first time on WW) to just over 2 lbs. per week.

I love food and love to cook (I never thought I would say that!), so meal planning is huge in my house. My next two weeks are planned for dinners (and breakfasts since I like the same thing almost every day). I also have a sweet tooth, so I have been learning many WW friendly desserts, like the idea of taking reduced fat graham crackers and putting fat free cool whip in between them and then freezing. 2 points for 2 small squares or 4 pts for four whole ones. When I am craving sweets but don't want to use any points I have a stick of gum or a cup of chai tea with cinnamon sprinkled on it. Another trick is a sliced up apple in a sandwich baggie with cinnamon and a bit of water. You microwave for two minutes and have what tastes like apple pie (sans crust) in a baggie for 0 points. Plan what you will eat, and take healthy snacks in your car with you so that you have NO reason to stop at a drive through!


Hope this helps: 
Breakfast: 

  • 1 egg fried with cooking spray
  • 1 piece Sara Lee Delightful 45 Calorie a Slice Honey Wheat Bread with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray
  • Chai Tea with one tablespoon of Coffemate Hazelnut or Peppermint Mocha creamer
(4 Point Breakfast)
Lunch: 
  • Green leaf lettuce
  • 2 tbsp Feta crumbles
  • diced fresh pear
  • Kraft Zesty Fat Free Italian dressing
  • 1 cup Progresso Light Vegetable Soup
(3 point Lunch)

Dinner (we do lots of things, but I try to keep within 7-9 points): 
  • homemade marinara sauce
  • whole wheat penne pasta
  • sauteed zuchinni
(7 point Dinner)

Snacks throughout day: 
  • black tea w/o creamer
  • diet Pepsi (because I need sweetness!)
  • air-popped popcorn with butter spray mentioned above
  • fruit (banana, apples, grapes, pears, berries)
  • baby carrots and/or cucumbers with fat free cream cheese or hummus
  • Dessert 1-3 points...I make lots of things, tonight is WW berry cobbler
  • Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (Vanilla)

No comments:

Post a Comment