Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Because Sometimes, Being a Grown-Up Sucks...

The monstrous moving truck full of Grandma and Grandpa's house was supposed to arrive last Thursday, and then last Friday. Barrett and I had had an argument because he wasn't sure what would happen to our anniversary plans for Saturday if the truck showed up then. My view was that it better not mess up our already belated celebration. Thankfully, it didn't. It was supposed to show Sunday morning. Finally around noon on Sunday (not morning by my standards especially for an already three day late moving company!), a very large moving truck, followed by a U haul truck to "shuttle" things down our apparently too curvy driveway (it was a large truck) to our barn for storage. Poor Grandma and Grandpa had carefully, painstakingly wrapped, written on and even flagged with red streamer each and every box according to where they wanted it moved. Ask me if this went smoothly? Go ahead...ask. Yeah, no way Jose. The barn is a complete mishmash of boxes they wanted up front being  put way in the back, wardrobe boxes (you know with needed clothes?) smushed and underneath other heavy boxes, furniture blocking necessities, you name it.

In the midst of all the excitement, the movers and the workers we had graveling (did I mention there were 3 movers and 2 other workers here simultaneously?) found our Clasrissa kitty under a bush. It appeared that she might have a broken leg, and Barrett and I knew we needed to get her to a vet ASAP. But we couldn't get out because of the moving truck and U haul truck, and we needed to borrow a pet crate that was still in said moving truck behind at least two more loads of stuff. Finally we left with our poor kitty to arrive at the crappiest, most horribly serviced veterinarian office ever. Clarissa was seen quickly, x-rays were taken, and we were told that she fractured both sides of her pelvis. This was likely from being hit by a car. :( She could have surgery to put in a screw of sorts (to the tune of $2,000+), or we could confine her, give her pain medicine and antibiotics, and hopefully the bones will heal in 4-6 weeks as the vet said usually is the case. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. And.............................................you guessed it! Waited. Clarissa was done 30 minutes or so after we arrived but we were there 3 1/2 hours!! I asked to settle the bill (ouch!!) a few times, and was told the bill was not ready. FIVE people with both more severe and less severe cases than ours came and went during this time until we were literally the only ones left. I was furious. I felt it necessary to do my own form of public service by informing the receptionist person that they had terrible service, thus embarrassing my poor husband.

The following AM? We find out that Sunday had been Grandma's birthday, and we completely forgot it with all the moving at broken catness. We felt AWFUL, and tried to make it up to her a bit yesterday.

Fast forward two days to a messy barn, stressed out but settling in grandparents, a crated cat that I have to crawl into the crate with and give meds twice a day, and a fairly disorganized house. On a positive, we have been passed down to by Grandma and Grandpa a couch, dining table and chairs, rug, a whole set of china dishes, and a (large) set of crystal glasses. Oh, and eventually, when we can get to it, a refrigerator. Luckily the couch, table and chairs, were moved in and our old stuff out on Sunday, though the movers didn't put anything where we said and tracked dirt onto my just cleaned floors. Oh, I could have screamed. Now the dishes are partially unpacked but will have to wait until I clean out what we already have.

Today I have exercised (which I don't like-remember? Just reminding you), vacuumed, swept, thrown dinner in the crock-pot and opened up a few boxes. It hasn't been that fun for a few days, though the new things are great. I keep reminding myself of my thoughts on Sunday. Have you ever actually talked out loud to yourself? Well on Sunday when I was at my wit's end upon finding out about our cat, I said "Seriously?? Why is all this junk happening at once?" And then I answered myself, "Because sometimes, being a grown up sucks."

No comments:

Post a Comment