Friday, August 23, 2013

Do You Need a Fridge Overhaul?

You know, it is amazing that I was not a fat kid. I mean, I must have had the metabolism of a racehorse, even into my twenties. It wasn't until the big 3-0 that my body started to catch up to (and reject in some cases) the food choices I was making. It has been almost a week since Barrett and I (former Weight Watchers drop-outs) started up the Weight Watchers PointsPlus diet plan again. If you are looking to lose weight, it does work. I can say that from last year when we did it. At that point Barrett lost 20 pounds and I had lost 8, and it had been about 5 weeks (he loses WAY faster than I do, though does have a bigger loss goal). Then we went away to the cabin in the snow and fell, heck we catapulted ourselves right off the wagon and ate with wild freedom for pretty much a year, with one failed attempt to try again. Now we are back where we started, and I am trying to lose 20-25 pounds. I tried to pick a realistic goal, though this still seems daunting. It gets me above what I was in my twenties, but well within a healthy BMI.

It's small, but after almost a week, I have lost 2 pounds! YAY!

Here's the funny thing: my doctors say I am healthy (and my dermatologist even said "fit"-HA! I like that doctor), but I know (because I can read!!!) that I am over where I should be. I also know that if the man I love is on-board with being more healthy and losing weight that I need to be too.

All that being said, my kitchen and my habits have needed a big overhaul. So instead of telling you all about it and what we shouldn't have in our kitchens (like we don't know that Little Debbie Cakes and potato chips are bad for us!), I figured I would keep it positive and tell you what IS in the kitchen (or at least the staples).

- fresh tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, baby carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, and pickles
-peaches, melon, bananas, blueberries, apples and blackberries
-Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful Bread (Honey Wheat)
-Reduced fat shredded cheese, cottage cheese, string cheese and cream cheese
-Deli-thin turkey breast
-Ground turkey burger, pork chops, chicken breasts, and pork tenderloin
-stir-fry veggies, and steam-able veggies
-Zesty Italian Fat Free salad dressing (Barrett does Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette), and hummus
-air-popped popcorn kernels and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray
-Vanilla Chai Tea (and yes, I do put REAL coffee creamer in this, full fat...but just a tablespoon)
-eggs
-canned pumpkin (A MUST to have on hand for low calorie desserts)

I have cravings, but my mindset has changed quite a bit. As the wife and the mom, I am the one who controls the bulk of what we keep in the house and what is cooked, so changes needed to happen! This is for my husband, my kids, and myself because yes...I have to admit I do care what size dress I wear! My biggest  habit changes? Get away from the kitchen after dinner. I save enough points for a light snack (I don't use all my points on purpose anyhow), but then I have to go downstairs, outside, anywhere else otherwise my kitchen talks to me. It tells me what I should eat! I am drinking more water...okay, I hate water-always have, but I am drinking more tea, which uses water! Finally, I am trying to be more active, which means making sure I exercise every other day as well as do something active as a family, like ride bikes or go on a long walk.

So, far so good. But it is a long road, so I am just keeping my head held high. I am a dessert person, so I am learning lots of low-fat, low point dessert options, and we use one meal each week to splurge a bit with our "bonus points." But, it's going. Tonight for dinner is sour cream and garlic mashed potatoes, Parmesan turkey meatloaf, steamed broccoli, and pumpkin spice muffins for dessert...which believe it or not adds up to only 10 points!

No comments:

Post a Comment