Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Snippets from my Saga: Part 1

I had to make a hard decision about my would-be book. Eight chapters in, I have come to realize that it is not something that I should ever publish. Because of the highly personal nature of it being about my way to and through divorce, there is much written about my ex-husband. Even writing it, I was softening and editing as I went, but there were times when he was painted in a very negative light (as I am sure I too would be if he were writing a memoir). While the writing has been very therapeutic, I have decided that to finish and to publish takes some very personal things and makes them public. No matter how many or few people read it- This is not fair to him and any changes that he has made to be better, and it is not helpful to us having an amicable relationship now. Mostly though, it is not fair to our children. I never say bad things about him to our boys, and I hope that he follows the same guideline. I figure that it is up to them to learn who we both are, to love us openly, and to do so without any biases getting in the way.

That all being said, some of you were very excited that I was writing this book, and I was so thrilled to have the support! Maybe someday I will write something that is not so personal-though those things are much harder for me to be passionate about. Until that time, I blog, I take pictures, and I cook to get my creativity out.  I will run a series of posts here on my blog with excerpts from the would-have-been novel. The things I  share, though still highly personal have been selected by yours truly as appropriate to share. I hope you enjoy.

I also share for any of you that have been through divorce. You are not alone. The first "snippet" is some facts about divorce.


Snippets from my Saga: Part 1


  • In America, there is 1 divorce every 13 seconds.
  • 50% of all marriages end in divorce, and the chance of divorce is even higher for people on second marriages.
  • The average length of a marriage ended by divorce is 8 years.
  • If you have happily married parents, your risk decreases 14%.
  • Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Alaska have the highest divorce rates in the nation.
  • While 5 in 10 marriages across the board fail, 4 in 10 are from Christian couples, and in many cases the response from the church has been hurtful and even devastating to people already going through a tragedy. 
  • Divorce can lead to feelings of disillusionment and abandonment both for the man and women, but also for the children involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment