Thursday, October 11, 2012

50 Shades of...Censorship?

I decided to vent tonight about book censorship. I will talk about two different types, censoring what children read, and censoring what adults read. It bugs me. To no end. Let's take kids first. I know that as a parent, it is my job to help "filter" what my children see and hear...to an extent. Let me begin with movies (I know, I said books, but I am building up my case!) While I would not let my 7 year-old watch a movie like Predator, I have let Matthew view a few PG-13 titles. I have sat and watched a handful (the first couple) of Harry Potter movies together, as well as Dr. Doolittle, and he has watched Pirates of the Caribbean with his father (I wasn't incredibly pleased with this decision), and Star Wars with my father. I believe that I know what he can handle versus what Isaiah (who is 4) can handle, versus what I am okay with being in their heads. Narnia used to scare Matthew, until we really talked about the story, and now he loves it. He is intrigued with Harry Potter, and it has actually spawned many discussions between us about good vs. evil (which would be the main premise of the entire book). I think as a parent, gauging your child's maturity is the paramount concern here. Matt is just beginning to read, but I hope that he will read Harry Potter (I could write oodles about why this book is not "bad", and how many other children's tales involve magic...Magic Tree House, anyone? Snow White? The Little Mermaid...most Disney stories FYI), and every book that catches his interest...and after a certain age (I am not sure when yet), I will not be censoring his novel choices, but (hopefully!) being glad that I have helped to create a reader.

 Too often I have seen parents, schools, and churches try to dominate the literary choices of children...and teens. I have seen this go as far as restricting loans at school libraries on the controversial books. Let me just tell you that often there is not a whole lot of controversy going on here. It all depends on what the person in charge of censoring is offended by. I have seen the following books in my few years spent in education all but banned from school libraries and teacher libraries: Grapes of Wrath (it mentions a woman breastfeeding...heaven forbid!), Twilight (okay vampires, schmampires...it's a love story, and guess what? There is NO premarital sex), Brave New World (for some sexual content and futuristic fertilization...very close actually to what happens in in vitro), Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (there is a mention of wanting bigger boobs!), Fahrenheit 451 (Ummm...because it's about censorship?), and The Diary of Anne Frank (banned because...and I kid you not "it was a real downer"!!!). I got a good laugh out of some of the banned books. Here are a few links in case you too would like a laugh, or are curious. 



I say, let your kid read what they want. Graphic novels? Sure. Instructional manuals on cars? Why not? Science fiction, action, romance, fantasy...it's all good. I read Stephen King and Anne Rice in junior high (I have always been a very strong reader). Guess what? I hated Stephen King, but loved Anne Rice. I read Harlequin romance novels, mysteries, fantasy, horror and science fiction (I loved Madeline L'Engle. Look her up if you haven't heard of her). I read John Grisham, Dean Koontz, R.L. Stine, John Steinbeck, Milton,  and Nicholas Sparks. My literary tastes ran the gamut, and I enjoyed young adult and adult fiction, as well as some non-fiction. My tastes still are very eclectic. My parents didn't control what I was reading. We had TONS of books in my home, and if it was a bit mature? Well, that was okay. Either I wouldn't like it anyway, or it would open conversational avenues with my parents. I think that's the key...being aware is important. And if you are truly worried about a book, you read it first, and make some notes of things to talk about with your son or daughter as they get further into the book.

Books open up worlds we could never explore otherwise. 

Now, a quick mention of censorship in the adult world. This is usually done because of religious reasons, but I also have seen it just because people (usually women) don't want to be seen a certain way because they have read a book. I am going to bring up a hot topic here...50 Shades of Grey. I was on the fence about  this book for awhile. I had heard that it was overtly sexual (not a huge deal for me), and that it was anti-feminist propaganda (there is a lot of domination in the book if you haven't read or heard of it). I was going to avoid it. Why? I guess to keep my own mind pure (okay, I can hear you laughing!)-because I wasn't sure I wanted to promote it. My two cents. I found a used copy at the bookstore and was curious. Yes, it has lots of sex, yes it has erotica in the way of domination and submission, and yes...the characters are not married. Again, while I hold to my own beliefs, none of that was shocking for me. I read it in 2 days. I enjoyed it, though not necessarily because of how sensual it was (and I won't ruin it here), but there is an actual story, and quite honestly, a really great one. No wonder the book won an award for best romance, and will be made into a movie (or so I've heard). It isn't for everyone, but that really is not the point here. My point is that I am a grown woman, and I feel that I can censor myself (thank you very much), and that really, there was no harm done to me by reading it...oh, and by the way, everything is consensual anyhow. Personally if this stuff went on in your marriage, behind closed doors, I'd say more power to you (You GO girl! or boy...), and I really don't care. Just Sayin'

And more than anything, I am saying that you control you. You are a grown-up, so if you don't feel you should read it...hold your head up high and don't-it's that simple. You can bash those that do if you really want to. If you want to read it, go for it, even if you have to hide it in your purse (I won't judge), and not tell anyone. :)

. You can decide what side of the coin you are on, but I personally see books (and most movies) as an escape from reality, something that makes us think, and something that is not going to change the morals I already have. This is fantasy people.
And okay...men? If you are out there and reading, got to say I agree with Dr. Oz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment