Sunday, October 7, 2012

Creatures of Comfort

We are all creatures of comfort-some of us to a larger extent than others. I would like to pride myself on the fact that I think I am fairly adventurous and willing to try new things, but let's admit it...I too have a range of comfort. Here are a few confessions of mine, and I hope that you will think about and either challenge or embrace yours:


  • I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday. One egg over-easy with a slice of sourdough toast and a travel mug of coffee (sometimes the flavor of creamer changes! Right now it is Peppermint Mocha). Not only do I not want anything else for breakfast, but I crave this daily! ;)
  • I am a Diet Pepsi feen...have been for years. Though I do limit myself to only 1 each day. Oh, and I hate water. Always have. The only way I want to drink it is with lots of Mio flavoring, and even then I'd rather have coffee, soda or tea (I like tea too).
  • I rediscovered hummus lately (the garlic flavor), and with pita bread, I'd be happy to eat this every meal (well, except breakfast!)-though I then smell garlicky afterward.
  • Sometimes I hate taking a shower (now hear me out...I hate feeling unclean), but sometimes I feel like it its such a huge hassle to go shower, shave, do my hair, pick out a cute outfit and put make-up on that I feel like I need another cup of coffee just to get moving! (Other times I love this!)Mind you-It is rarely done halfway...then I just feel icky about myself. My cop-out  I will skip doing my hair and leave it wet or put it in a pony (now that it's getting long enough) before skipping anything else. 
  • I hate crowds. Oh, I don't get anxiety or anything...I just don't like them. My dream? I'd love to have Powell's City of Books (a whole city block of books in Portland) all to myself or me and the people I like. 
  • I love curling up on the couch and reading, drawing (as of late), or writing. I also like doing this is parks, just leave the interaction with people out of it!
  • I love taking classes. I am comfortable in school and learning. Professional Student would be a perfect career for me...too bad the pay is so poor!
Here's a quick story for you to illustrate comfort levels. We have been talking about gender definitions in one of my classes, and how society has the need to categorize things neatly. I see myself as fairly open-minded about this. It makes no difference to me at all if you like men, women, both or neither...as long as you are a nice person. While I have some of my own beliefs and tendencies myself (mine are heterosexual, lol!), I feel no need to push what I feel onto others, to be rude, condescending or unaccepting. That being said, the girl next to me in this particular class identifies herself as feeling androgynous (neither gender), with some female inclinations such as experimenting with make-up sometimes. Thursday I walk in, and she is exchanging a long kiss (with lots of saliva swapping) with....a man? Woman? I wasn't sure. The person was dressed like a man, and looked like a man, but had a voice and mannerisms that were distinctly (at least in my mind) feminine. It didn't bother me...I could not care less what gender of a person she was making out with prior to class, but it did bother me that I couldn't tell. Has this ever happened to you? I guess I am more aware of it now, but it was like my mind didn't know what to do with this person. Later, she was telling me (it was somewhat on topic) that her "boyfriend" (okay...my mind says) is transgendered...meaning he feels he is a woman in a man's body or should have been a female. Instead of thinking anything else my mind automatically says does that make this girl lesbian? I mean if she's with a man that wants to be a woman....Again, not that I cared one way or the other, but my instructor is  correct in the fact that we have an inherent need to categorize things. It makes us comfortable. 

I guess I am a creature of comfort after-all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment