Wednesday, October 3, 2012

And Let it Be Said...My Thoughts on Abortion

I know, I know...this is a very touchy issue, and I am going to tick some people off. Hmm...too bad it's my blog, and that doesn't really bother me. :) For my Sociology of Marriage, Family and Intimate Relations course, we had to visit a website: Facts About Abortion Laws, and write a short response. Here is mine in response to the fact that (Oh, Heavens no!) insurance companies may no longer cover some abortions in some states. First off, I never knew they did. Why was I denied coverage for an IUD that prevents unwanted pregnancies, but women can get coverage for abortions? Really?!! Really?!! An abortion is an elective procedure (most of the time), so that's like being told that if I elect to have a boob job (after all, maybe I just didn't want the ones I was born with), my insurance will pay for it. Awesome. Sign me up for a tummy tuck and some teeth whitening as well. I cannot stop people from getting abortions, we live in a society where choosing life has become well, a choice...but I can rant and say that paying for an abortion? I think not. You want it, you fund it.  This being said, I do think that birth control should be universally available. After-all, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Right? Are you with me here, people?


Here is my response to the website: 
In response to States Are Banning Insurance Coverage of Abortion, Taking Away Benefits Women Currently Have and Jeopardizing Women’s Health, I guess my true bias against abortion comes to the forefront. I do not believe in abortion…unless medically necessary, not even in the cases of rape and incest. A majority of studies show that an abortion after a woman is a victim to such a crime actually impedes her healing process and can make depression, anxiety and even suicide levels higher. It’s like that old adage “two wrongs don’t make a right.” I do not think that insurance coverage should be provided for abortions unless they are medically necessary. Why? I think insurance companies should provide coverage for birth control options to prevent the pregnancies in the first place. The birth control pill (taken correctly-and most women lie about this) and the newest IUDs have almost a 100% success rate at preventing unwanted pregnancies. In my opinion, it is irresponsible and selfish to seek an abortion. I am not saying that a woman should keep a baby she doesn’t want, but there are plenty of couples who do seek to adopt unwanted children. And let’s be honest, rape and incest are a minority, not the majority, of the concern. Furthermore, my IUD was denied insurance coverage a few years ago, and I find it amazing that insurance will pay for an abortion! Again, I see the pattern of pure stupidity at work. Prevention seems to be the best alternative.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Insurance agencies also do not cover for fertility treatments normally....It is ok to kill the baby, but it is not ok to fund to create it or prevent it. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insane world we live in sometimes, isn't it? How are you and Ryan by the way?

      Delete