Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Generation M (Misogyny)

I thought as I studied for my final later this morning, that I would share some of the amazing statistics I have learned this term in my Sociology of Gender class. The class, that I thought would be a complete waste of time, has actually been very interesting. I have learned that feminism is not the bra-burning, male-hating description that we often think of. I have learned that though things are much better than say 100 years ago, there are still many things that need to change in our society. I hope you will enjoy the statistics. They come from my textbook Reconstructing Gender by Estelle Disch, as well as from some of the films we have watched. Here is a trailer for Generation M, a film we watched in class about misogyny in media: Generation M.


  • Cosmetic surgeries have increased 444% since 1995.
    • 91% of all procedures are done to women.
    • Many procedures are done of women who are not Caucasian to make them look more "white".
  • 90% of all violent crime is done by men.
    • Battered women make-up the majority of women incarcerated.
  • Cosmetics industries do not have a single set of health and safety guidelines (kind of scary): See What's in Your Products...
  • Every second 3 Barbies are sold.
  • Pink is one of the few female artists to sing about women misrepresenting themselves in media.
  • 20% of female veterans have been sexually assaulted.
    • But up to 80% will not report.
  • Women are still underrepresented in government and business.
    • Women make up just 17% of congress.
    • And only 3.8% of Fortune 500 companies have a woman as the CEO.
Hope you found these interesting. I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment