Monday, January 21, 2013

What do you DO all day?

I have to say that God humbles us in every way possible. In the past few months I have entered a realm of two careers I never thought I would want to do: being a substitute teacher and being at stay-at-home-mom. Today I will talk about the latter. I have to admit that I always secretly had a bit of contempt for stay-at-home moms. Hear me out-I do not mean to be offensive, just honest. I always thought that I handled it just fine being a mom, and working, and often going to school too...and the hard truth is that I wondered to myself about stay-at-home moms the big question: "What do you DO all day?" 

It turns out I am not alone in this thought, nor am I alone at all in the career woman turned stay-at-home mom for a season or two of life. I am not the only one to feel overwhelmed, depressed, and unaccomplished by the new found freedom and absolute lack of a schedule. Maybe that sounds weird to you? Like an oxymoron? How can a lack of a schedule be overwhelming? Well for me (and it seems many other women according to the great blogosphere), that having life scheduled by professors and bosses was actually easier. It was a no-brainer. Now I have to decide what gets done each  day, how my children and I interact together, and how I get in "me" time throughout the day as well with scheduled "free-play" times for Isaiah. I am here to say that I have a new respect for stay-at-home moms (at least those that truly are making a big effort for their homes and families... which I would daresay is most, though not all). Staying at home feels like I am accomplishing nothing. This is a mental block that I need to get over. On a good day the laundry is kept up, the floors are cleaned, dishes washed and meals made, as well as my four-year old having time to play, read, sing and bake with Mommy. On a good day my seven-year old is fed and off to school, and returns home to a loving mom who leads him though chores, homework, reading and play-time. And on a good day my husband comes home to happy kids, a clean house, fresh laundry, and a prepared dinner. 

If you have been in this boat, I encourage you to share with me what works for you. For me? I am finding that I need a schedule. Yes, it is a loose schedule that can change due to weather, energy level and even the grumpiness of a pre-schooler. Though a schedule can keep me on track with things I want to accomplish each day. This might be getting some pictures scrapbooked during nap time, trying a new recipe, or doing an art project with Isaiah. 

 Another thing? I REFUSE to do it all. Yes, I am home. Yes, I have time more abundant than ever before, but I will not be a slave to my home or family. To me, part of being in any family is learning how to be a team. For example, I did the HUGE grocery list yesterday, but Barrett washed some laundry and vacuumed the stairs (a task I TRULY hate). My sons? They may be small, but they do chores. We have taught Matthew to clean toilets, sweep, mop, vacuum and take out the trash. Isaiah knows how to clean counter-tops, dust, and do bathroom sinks. Both boys know how to make their own beds and fold and correctly put away their own laundry. Does this mean I never do any of these chores? Heck no. I do them a lot. I like to keep a clean house, and I also try not to overload the kids on any given day. so though Matt can vacuum, he may do it once a week and I may do it two other times (I like a clean house, but I have pets...and kids!). It is still a huge help to the household, and I hope that we are teaching the boys that everyone contributes. They do get a small amount of chore money for some chores (they don't for making the bed or brushing teeth-things that are daily), and more money for chores we really don't want to do but they offer to help, like picking up shell casings after Barrett shoots, or weeding a flowerbed. 

Anyhow, those are my thoughts for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment