Thursday, January 17, 2013

Grrrrr!!!

I couldn't think of a better title for this post, a better title to describe what is going through my head and heart lately. I am so frustrated these days, but it is no-one's fault but my own. Leave it to me to decide I want to be a teacher at the worst possible time of year. There are no jobs, or let me rephrase, there are a handful of jobs that are unexpectedly open mid-year, and far too many applicants like myself that for one reason or another find themselves looking mid-year. There is a cycle of hiring with teachers. Contracts at schools will be offered in March-April, and the powers that be will decide what positions (if any) they need to fill the following school year. They will post the jobs in April-June, interview during the summer, and the new jobs will begin in August. This is just how it works in education, and I am no stranger to the process. I have applied to 6 jobs in education, including 2 that I am overqualified for, and 1 that I didn't quite meet the qualifications for. I have heard back from one (the one I wasn't qualified for), that they have chosen someone else-I am not surprised since I never even interviewed. It is just very slow going on the end I am on. I am currently on 4 substitute teacher lists, and have been for 2 weeks, and have gotten not one single request. Part of me is okay with that since the idea of getting an assignment at the last minute and then figuring out how to get Isaiah to my dad and myself to the school in time could potentially be problematic in and of itself. I have encountered the entire spectrum of reactions from people being really excited that I am not leaving education, to complete lack of any civilized response from people I truly liked and thought the feeling was mutual. If it weren't for the fact that my old students treat me like I have celebrity status, I would seriously begin to question my own sanity or if I was even good in the first place. 

I am making contacts at new schools and districts, hoping to become a friendly face for when they have openings. I made the cutest little "goody bags" for teachers with my new business card, biscotti and tea to drum up sub jobs. I am hoping to also learn the library system for Sweet Home School District, because I hear they are often short subs who can fill in for the Librarian. I have even applied for completely unrelated jobs recently, such as a job for the state, and am thinking about applying for a job at Barrett's company in the sales division. Why? I guess because when I decided to go back to work, it means that I want to find something, anything that is at all palatable. 

When I left my job back in August, it was to go to school full-time, and because I changed my mind, the school prospects for what I am thinking I may pursue do not begin again until this coming August. I have never been out of work before this summer, for more than just my maternity leaves for the past 11 years, and it is such a weird feeling. On one hand, I think I can just enjoy my time with Isaiah until the Fall when I will hopefully have a new teaching job. On the other hand, I don't want my partner to think I am not even looking for jobs. Daily I am grateful that we are okay. Barrett does well for us, and though me having an income would certainly help, it is not absolutely necessary nor panic-inducing at this point in time. Though...I am so sorry to him that I put us here in the first place. 

My biggest update is that I really liked a university down in Eugene that I met with. Have I already told you this? Anyhow, it has a program that  would allow me to not only get my school counseling license, but also to become a licensed professional counselor (LPC) and to work in a practice setting or eventually for myself should I go that route. I think the idea is fantastic. School counseling is what interests me more, but often due to budgets, the jobs can be very competitive to get into. This gives to separate options when I complete the program, plus I could always teach too...

2 comments:

  1. I love you, babe. It'll all work out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah! Having trouble getting my reply on here. Let's try again. :)

    You'll do great at whatever you choose to do. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what is best for you and makes you happy! You'll find something. You're a great teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete