Friday, January 25, 2013

On Top of the World

Have you ever had one of those bounce-off-the-walls, crazy-happy days? A day where you feel like ALL of the pieces of your life that seemed so out of place are finally coming together? It's like my life has been this mixed up mess of seemingly random puzzle pieces, and I finally figured out how they all fit together. Turns out..the pieces that I thought made up a mess are actually making one beautiful, organized piece of art. I wonder if that is exactly as God intends it to be?

I used to always tell my high school students not to worry, that those days would not end up being the best days of their lives. For me, it is right now-right where I am. I had a plan but no clue what I was doing when I was 18, or 21 or 25 for that matter. My life was a dreadful mess at age 28 when I separated from my high school love. At 30, though happier than ever before with my relationship and family, I found I was still floundering rediscovering who exactly I was. At 31? I finally feel like I am beginning to be the person I want to be, and I have gotten to know and even like myself. Sure, I was probably much prettier (and definitely thinner) ten years ago-but I LIKE myself a whole lot better now. 

What made me so happy today? Well, today I got the call that I have been selected to interview for a counseling program that has both an excellent reputation, and a pretty flexible schedule. I am thinking more and more that this is the area that I feel called to go into. School counseling actually makes both my Bachelor's in Psychology and my Master's in Education seem to go together :) and HUGE NERD ALERT HERE,  but I practically drooled reading course descriptions for all the classes. That ever happen to anyone else, where you think wow, I am actually interested in all of these classes, or am I alone in my utter nerddom? I got to go shopping today sans children (which is always nice), and picked a practical interview dress that can also be dressed up for a nice date out. I rehearsed to myself while driving (again, completely  outting my nerdiness here!) for what I would say to possible interview questions. I thought I sounded like the perfect candidate by the way!

Today my husband (who is the BEST ever match for my puzzle masterpiece) told me that we can take a vacation for the two of us in late spring, and that I could choose anywhere I wanted to go for a week (within certain financial restrictions of course). We had been planning on Mexico, because it is pretty budget friendly, but the more I priced things it seemed we could go almost anywhere for around the same amount. I have longed to be a traveler for as long as I can remember. You can read about my obsession here: Oh to See the World! So I saw this as a golden opportunity. Though not 100% decided yet (give me a few days to obsess over choices), I am pretty sure we will be vacationing this year in....Italy! 

I am a happy girl. I have two more possible sub jobs lined up, an interview for grad school, and a trip to plan. Plus, I finally feel like I am coming to terms with (and learning how to navigate) this thing called parenting. By the way, a quick recommendation-if you are a mom of young kids I HIGHLY recommend a book I am currently reading: Desperate- Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe

And on another note (I know my writing is slightly disjointed today, and I apologize), to those who have been through a divorce-it takes time to find yourself, especially if you have been with someone else for a long time. Sometimes it is so difficult to see where they stopped and you began. If you feel like you don't know who you are, take some time off work if possible (even if it is just a small weekend trip) and begin to categorize the things you know you enjoy and those you don't. It may take awhile, but just start. Up until a few days (honestly!) ago, I couldn't even name the things that interested me, or what I liked to do. I am still working on my list that sums me up, but I have pinned down a few things. I am a wife, a mother, a forever student, a teacher. I am a pet-lover, with an interest in decorating and photography, and cooking as well.  I like studying, and intend to at least take a crash course in Italian. I love curling up with a good book or movie, and there are entire days I'd be content to live within my own head. I love the beauty of nature, long to travel the world, and am amused by news in health and science. I care about people's feelings a lot, the nature of education, and becoming a good person and role model. I am silly, sarcastic, and serious-extroverted and introverted. I love fashion and great dinners out. I am sure I will find out a lot more that is the essence of me in the future. 

Happy day all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment