Friday, January 18, 2013

Hit the Ground Running!

Here I was all calm and content yesterday, thinking I was going to embrace being a stay-at-home-mom when I get the notification that a sub job is open for tomorrow (well today now, but you get me). I had joked with Barrett that the worst sub job ever would be PE. I hated PE as a kid, and quite honestly kids running around and throwing balls is still enough to give me a slight edge of anxiety. But lo and behold the sub job said PE and Health, and so after a few minutes of deliberation, I accepted it.

Barrett says that my whole "everything happens for a reason" theory is spot on, and that it was no coincidence that my lunch plans for today fell through, thus freeing me up. Ah, so with one period left to go (I am currently on prep as I write), I can say that I have survived my first sub job. I am no longer tense like this morning. And I get paid for today, a day of hanging out with teenagers...and it wasn't so bad.

This morning I awoke at five (!!!) to be our the door by 6:15 with boys in tow and get them to my parents while I went to find my assignment. It was dark, scary foggy, and my car needed gas- but luckily I still arrived early enough to get a quick tour, room keys and lesson plans. My room? It is behind the gym, and made of concrete. Actually, I spent three periods not even in here. I was in the gym for two and the weight room for one. Can I just say that subbing for weight-lifting is dreadfully dull? As is PE with some version of dodgeball, and me flinching each time a ball came near. Health has been ok. One class was silent and one pretty rowdy...though my loud class had over 30 kids in it. My final class is pretty small. I have their teacher's assignment for them, but I'm hoping to have some fun with them too hopefully after they are done. Subbing older kids is pretty unexciting. Teachers usually just leave work for them to do. Next time I need something to do as well!

Overall, kids are kids. Though I witnessed kids with brightly colored hair, piercings and and tattoos (and a few colorful words I had to put an end to!)-they were actually pretty good. They were respectful, quirky, albeit colorful teens. I'd come back.

1 comment:

  1. Your day sounds much like my every work day. PE can be rough, because once you get them out of the classroom they think they don't have to listen. I am glad you survived it.

    I had 7/8th grade Science today. Very simple day, yet a bit boring. Sometimes the job is a bit dull, yet most days I really enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete