Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Love Day

It has been awhile since I have given the history of anything much thought, but the histories (yes, plural) of Valentine's Day are pretty interesting. Seems there is a Christian account and a Pagan one, and both are pretty captivating stories. For a short summary go here: History of Valentine's Day. Anyhow, I have been trying to make a big deal out of things at the house (creating some cool memories and traditions), with me being home most of the time and all, so we have been baking (all Weight Watcher's desserts, lol!), decorating and talking about Valentine's Day all week. I was explaining that Valentine's Day is a day that we show people we love them and are kind to everyone...at least that was my simple explanation to my 4 year-old. As I was telling him this, I felt silly, and said to him "Well, I guess every day should be like that, shouldn't it?" He agreed.

Finger-painted rainbows
A Valentine's Day lunch fit for a king...or a small boy.
I am blessed to have found the love and the joy that I have in my life. It feels each day as though I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I will continue to sub here and there, but I am beginning to really enjoy my time in the home. I am excited that we have talked about this being the plan as I continue with school in the Fall. Though I hope to accelerate the program, and take 3 classes every 8 weeks instead of 2, it will still keep me here quite a bit. I am finding my rhythm with Isaiah, and have made a stay-home schedule that we both really thrive on. If you want to see it to give you ideas, feel free to let me know. I have focused a lot on reading, crafts and cooking together. These are things we both enjoy. I read in this great book I am reading that the best way to parent your child is to let them see who you are, to introduce them to things you like, and to share your passions with them. They won't like everything you do, but you won't be bored trying to be someone you aren't. I love this advice! This means that Isaiah (and Matthew on Fridays) gets exposed to nature, animals, artwork, different types of music, cooking, science, and things I find beautiful. Have you ever noticed how just the simple addition of something YOU love in a room can improve your mood tremendously? I have silk flowers in the bathrooms, real ones in the kitchen, candles throughout the house, and children's artwork to decorate for the seasons/holidays. These things make me happy, and when I am happy I set the tone for my kids (and often my sweet hubby too).
He is crazy excited to have Sierra Mist and cupcakes!

While Barrett and I do not have any big couple type plans for Valentine's Day, nor are we exchanging gifts, I have set out to make the day a special one for everyone. This took a bit of planning and the help of Pinterest, but both boys have heart-shaped sandwiches and red foods for lunch tomorrow, we have decorated the kitchen with hearts that have been finger-painted by the boys, we baked strawberry cupcakes, and for dinner tomorrow I have planned pink pancakes with berries and cool whip, as well as Shirley Temple type fancy sodas for the boys. I have learned that making a big deal out of the little things (in a good way!) makes a fun, happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment