Sunday, November 25, 2012

Anxious for a New Beginning


I have had many new beginnings in my life...especially within the last two years. There was a new relationship, leading to a new marriage, a new car, a new house, a new goal in life (centered on an old dream)-which lead to being a new student at Oregon State University first, and then Lane Community College...and now I await my newest beginning...in exactly 14 days I will begin training as a Certified Nurse Assistant!  I am anxious and excited. Like 85% excited and 15% anxious.  

Sarah fact...as often as I have had new careers (which I guess isn't too awfully bad at 3 jobs in the last 12 years!), I hate starting somewhere new. Okay, truthfully, it is a love-hate relationship. I like that I can become anyone I want to be by starting fresh. I loved the anonymity of moving to Oregon in 2002, because the only people here that knew me were family. Family doesn't get to decide whether they want to be around you or not! :) Family tends to be more accepting because yeah, they know your faults...but you know theirs, so it's pretty equal footing. But I digress. Why I am anxious is that even the idea of driving somewhere new gives me butterflies in my stomach. Oh, I'll do it...but let me throw up first. Just kidding, but I do get very worried about finding the new place. Then there is meeting the new people. I will be in a cohort of only like 10 people. What if they hate me? What if I find them obnoxious? What if my instructor is mean, or if I can't grasp the skills I need? I know logically that this all should be fine, but I still worry...you know? I worry about long days on my feet and being coordinated enough to learn the skills I need, having the perseverance to keep going when I am tired, and having a poker face when I have to deal with something really gross. Oh, and the fact that I can't even have my cell phone on me, like for 4 hours at a time?! I could miss something, you know? :)

 I am also so incredibly excited. This is the first step that makes me feel closer to being a nurse, like I get a peek into the world, hopefully part-time employment as well when I am finished with the training, and a set of skills that are important and needed. In case you are wondering what CNAs actually do, let me enlighten you. 

List of CNA Job Duties 

  • Check and record vitals
  • collect urine and fecal specimens
  • measure intake and output 
  • report and record observations of patient's conditions
  • check and pass food trays
  • feed patients
  • assist with bedpans
  • give enemas
  • turn and position patients
  • move and transport patients to wheelchair or walker
  • assist with ambulation (walking, getting up and moving)
  • bathe patients
  • provide hair and nail care
  • give oral hygiene or denture care
  • shave patients
  • assist with dressing patients
  • assist with patient comfort and anxiety relief (being available, backrubs, hot and cold applications)
  • document care provided
This is just a quick list, and I know that a lot of the duties may seem gross, but they are also things that are necessary to providing good care for a patient. 

Do I ever worry that I will think this job is not for me? Yes. That is part of the 15% anxiety. There's that voice that says "But what if you hate it, Sarah? What if it is really gross? What then? Are you going back to teaching? Was this all for nothing?" The little  voice is obnoxious and can really ramble on, filling me with doubts (you probably have an annoying little voice too...maybe ours should hang out and distract one another!). There's also a part of me, probably related to said little voice that says "Do you have a plan B?"

But right now? Plan A is the one I am focused on. 14 days...and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment