Thursday, March 20, 2014

Holding Patterns R Us

It feels that it has been forever since I have written, yet I feel like there is not much to tell. My life is/still is in a holding pattern, likely until June. Just call my store Holding Patterns R Us. By that I mean that I am currently working as a teacher, and I have been offered an interview for the Bachelor of Nursing Program at OHSU Monmouth. I am SUPER excited and nervous, as OHSU (Oregon Health Science University for those wondering) is very well ranked, BIG on producing nurses that are teachers and leaders, and is pretty much my dream nursing program. However, they accept only around 30 students a year, so though I have an interview, it is a huge likelihood that I will not get in. I keep trying to mentally prepare myself for that outcome, but yeah, in all honesty? I am excited and hopeful. It does have some cons. It is an hour drive from our house, and it is more expensive than a community college. But that's it. 
I don't feel like I am necessarily in the rain right now, but I LOVE this!!!

I did also apply to Lane Community College's RN program that has an agreement to do the 3rd year through OHSU. So, both programs lead to the same result, but the difference is in the first 2 years of training. And I am sure Lane is great too, so I am not at all knocking Lane, I just don't know if I got an interview for them yet. I will know March 31st. I can tell you that I compiled a list of like 40 possible questions to get asked, and have practiced possible responses, I have read about current issues and trends in nursing, as well as the future of nursing. I have never prepared this much for an interview. 


My job will be re-posted in a few weeks. The nature of it is that it is a "temporary" contract, so it is not something I am asked back to like a normal teaching position, but something that I would have to re-apply to. Now the likelihood of being hired again after doing what I feel is a great job here is very high, so it is mostly a matter of going through the paperwork. I am applying again, as well as I have also applied for a 3rd grade position and will apply for anything else that looks remotely interesting for next school year. The reason is that I have to cover ALL of my bases. Should I not get into nursing school (which is a definite possibility), it would be really stupid to give up a great-paying teaching job (same sentence there-did you see that?). If I interview for Lane, they tell people by April 28th if they are in. OHSU has until June to inform candidates. LONG wait time, right? Teaching jobs also take their sweet time, but I figure by my last day of work (June 10th, but who's counting), I will know what next Fall holds. It will be really nice to know. Really nice to see this path go one way or the other. There is of course the option of re-taking my math class (my one low grade) and the classes that will "expire", and re-applying the following year...but that is not cost effective at all, as I would not be able to take my lab classes while teaching, so no money made, AND the classes would cost me money. 

My family? Well, positive that my parents would be happy to see me remain a teacher but will support whatever I decide. They like the family-friendly hours and schedule and time off with the kids. Barrett is rooting for nursing, even though it will put all the financial responsibility back on him...again...for 3 years. Eek.  The boys? They mainly want me to be a nurse. Why? Because they know mommy quit teaching to do this, and they are pulling for me. That makes me feel pretty great. 



What do I want? The million-dollar question. I want it all. Fair enough, right? Not to get all preachy on you, but I truly believe God has bigger and better plans for us than we limit ourselves to. I took this job because I like the area, my  mom is in the district, and it sounded kind of easy. (Hope you weren't drinking anything while reading that! Snort!!! Because, you know if you read me, it is NOT easy!) I kind of dig the job. On a good day. On a bad day I want to run screaming from it, but I haven't, so that's good. I figured out a few things about myself. I LOVE helping those that others won't help, don't want to help or have somehow slipped through the cracks. I love the high fives and shared laughs. I love my dungeon. I love that I have been told my parents and other staff that I am doing a good job, and that I get invited to placement meetings to talk about what is best for "my" kids. I am not sure I want to stay, heck not even sure I want to stay if I don't get into a nursing program, but I am learning. If I remain a teacher, I want small groups of kids that I can know and help. If I stay a teacher, I am thinking of getting the license my mom has and working with Special Education high-schoolers. That particular license is not handicapped teens, but teens with mild learning disabilities, emotional disorders and behavioral issues (sound a bit familiar?). If I get into nursing, through all my research (!!) and my renewed love of teaching, I have found a field that interests me a lot: Community Health/Public Health Nursing. These nurses teach others about diseases and conditions, speak at events in the community, research diseases prevalent in their community, etc. For more on what they do: What Does a Public Health Nurse Do? They also work more normal hours, and it can be a good field to become a Nurse Practitioner in. Yes, I want to teach as a nurse. So, I have discovered some things that I love. And for the most part? I am calm. Very calm. More to come I guess....

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, I recently found your sweet little blog from a post on Allnurses. I just wanna say that you are an inspiration for chasing after your dream of nursing. God is so faithful to sustain us through our journey - wherever it leads. I sincerely pray you get an acceptance letter - either OHSU or Lane. All the very best for you and what lies ahead! I too hope to be admitted to OHSU - Monmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was!! :) A total shock and dream come true!!

    ReplyDelete