Friday, March 7, 2014

To the Powers that be in Education...

To the powers that be in education, and the absent parents that breed these situations in the first place, I need a moment to vent.

The kids that you send to my room? I would like to believe that it is because you care about helping them, and I know that perhaps you do, a bit. What I also know is that the kids are sent to me as a last resort. You have no clue what else to try with them. They are problems to be dealt with. They have unacceptable behaviors, cause distractions and disruptions, if they come at all. Don't think I don't know that the "out of sight, out of mind" adage makes these kids oh so much more palatable. I know I am not alone. This is why this is a very general venting so to speak. I know classrooms like mine exist throughout the nation, and you know what? I am glad they do. I hope that the troubled teens throughout these classrooms are met with the enthusiasm of a teacher who refuses to see them as everyone else does.


Are you aware that many of these kids come in hungry, dirty, and exhausted? Can you even begin to imagine the things they deal with at home? Many have responsibilities that they should not have to worry about yet, and some are living life crazy and free because there is no caring adult to set boundaries for them. You seem surprised that these students seem to like me, like coming to my room, and actually work for me. It's really not that hard. You see, I feed them, I care about them, and I know them, in many cases perhaps a lot better than you do. These kids? They spend 14-15 hours a week with me. Do they spend that with you? Do they tell you about new video games, movies, and songs they enjoy? Do you know their goals? Do you know their dreams?

I do.


I know that I have students that long to go to college, have a career, and have families of their own some day. I know that they are bright and capable-has anyone else told them that? I know what they think of you, their friends, their past teachers and their "situation" in life. Because they tell me. Because I listen. Is it really that difficult? Is it so hard to steer them in the right direction? To take a moment to care about them as people? They are not numbers. They are not statistics. They are not burdens. They are not losers. And they are not hopeless.

Are they a pain in the butt sometimes? You bet. You take these kids, from these situations that you either know nothing about or are helping to perpetuate, and you expect them to get a regular education? You expect them to care? Maybe try connecting first. Maybe try better, more meaningful curriculum. Parents, maybe try being there some of the time and setting rules. Believe it or not, your children want them. They want you in charge, because they are not ready to be in charge themselves.

The key to these kids? I listen to some of the songs they like, talk to them about the things they care about, desperately try to make some of what they are learning relevant. Baby steps in the right direction. I reward them with hot chocolate, donuts, and art. Yes, we do art as a reward. Perhaps a bit unconventional..., but I say whatever works.  You want them to come to school, to graduate. I say that is the bare minimum. I want them to know themselves, see potential, to create, to be more, to become more, to dream. Did you know that your goal is limiting? That it says you think this is all they can do?





Sometimes I have the opportunity  to discuss whether or not these kids should remain mine or be put in a different placement. Thank you for the opportunity. I am all too aware that it would make my job easier if some of them left, but because I do not think they would do better somewhere else, I fight instead to keep them with me. I am not perfect, and neither are you, but I can tell you one thing- I am doing my all to reach these students..., it would be nice if you joined me.


No comments:

Post a Comment