Monday, March 3, 2014

Where is my Magic 8 Ball When I Need it?

I wish there was a magic-8 ball for life. Remember those? You ask it a question, give it a shake, and it gives you an answer. I know that the answers were completely irrelevant. So I guess what I really want is a working magic 8 ball for life that answers the tough questions for me. Because no matter how many people you ask for advice, no matter how much you research things, inevitably you still have to make a choice. That is part of being an adult. For all the responsibilities that I do not shy away from, all the purely adult tasks I am asked to do, it seems when it comes to choosing my own path I want a guru, a parent, the universe to decide for me. And I can't just escape to Never Never Land, can I?
Someone decide for me, please?
Today I got a raise. It was a surprise, but well deserved. I think. The school district decided to count my 1st two years teaching as teaching experience after-all (technically I was an "intern", as I was unlicensed and working toward it the first 2 years). They decided since I had fulfilled the role as a full-time teacher, I deserve it to count as experience. It moved me up 2 more steps on the salary schedule. NICE way to start a Monday.

So why am I complaining  that I need my decisions made for me? Well, I am pretty sure I want to be a nurse, as you all know, but it is like 50-50, and I need it to be like 70-30 to leave a good job..., or geesh 51-49 at the very least! This is the best money I have ever made (no, you don't hear that from teachers very often, but I am finally at a public school). In fact I make more now than working full-time and taking work home every single night like I did teaching previously. I rarely take anything home now, what I do, is because I am looking for new ways to help teach a concept  that a student isn't getting, or I need to go gather supplies to do a project with a student. I rarely grade because it is all online, but I do teach a fair amount, because I am left explaining in person what online explanations lack, often. I do employ classroom management and rewards and consequences, and I keep meticulous records because each student I have is here for a reason, and I have to document everything (progress made, attitude, hours spent, grades received, behavior...). I have a small load of students to track and help (much like special education)-my max load is 10 (with only 5 per session)! Anyhow, a slightly lazy part of me says that I already have a good job, a job that is likely to be offered to me for next school year as well. And guess what? I am already qualified! Ha! This part of me says that OSU has a great school counseling program should I decide on that route later on. Honestly, I am even able to get in some homework on the job, and would get some reimbursement for classes. And that experience is experience. I can always apply for other traditional teaching jobs later. Each year is a new opportunity, and with the education market pretty flooded right now, having a foot in the door somewhere, counts for a lot. My hours are GREAT (7:30-3:30), and I am on a 4-day school week. I get TIME with my kids. Unfettered time without work-place burdens.  There are also the small, but maybe significant, creature comforts. I can control the design and temperature of my classroom. I have a coffee maker, fridge, microwave, and restroom all available whenever I desire. I even get paid on salary, and can leave early if my students leave early or don't show up (which does happen about once every few weeks). I know that nursing cannot match that, at least not for many years likely, and even then I'd expect longer hours.

So is it my fear talking? Fear of the unknown? Or am I wise to count my blessings and not toss away the fact that I already have a graduate degree? Am I passionate about this? Ugh. It depends on the day, really. But is that how it is with every job? I am full of questions, hypotheticals, what ifs and maybes. Sadly no amount of prayer, advice-garnering, aptitude testing or personality testing provides a clear cut answer. I am a "natural teacher and counselor, also inclined towards careers in health-care and the medical professions", (wow, thanks for that. This I already knew!). You want to know the careers I score the highest for based on aptitude, interests and personality?
The ones I put in blue I actually have interest in. The others, not so much.
  • -Teacher, elementary, middle or high school
  • -Special Education Teacher
  • -School/Guidance Counselor
  • -Marriage and Family Counselor
  • -Mental Health Counselor
  •  -Substance Abuse Counselor
  • -Physician
  • -Dentist
  • -Physical Therapist
  • -Registered Nurse
  • -Acute Care Nurse
  • -Nurse Midwife
  • -Nurse Practitioner
  • -Respiratory Therapist
  • -Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
  •  College Biology Teacher
  • -Health Specialties Instructor (like nursing, lol)
  • -Social Worker
  • -Clinical Psychologist
  • -Speech Language Pathologist
  • -Priest, Rabbi, or other Clergy (Ha, ha, ha!)


Are you not entertained? :) Maybe you can be my Magic 8 Ball?

No comments:

Post a Comment