Friday, June 14, 2013

My Big Announcement

No, I did not get a job, and am not with child. There, that is out of the way! :) I decided to share my latest endeavor on here, to keep my readers afloat of what is going on in my life, as well as to garner your support. After much prodding from my sweet husband, my family, and my readers, I have decided to write a book. I do not expect this to be some huge profit-making grand scheme, full-time career, or to become a best-selling author. I have not yet decided if I will go the route of trying to get my novel published or strike a deal with Amazon and e-publish. I have been reading up on this lots, and have much more to discover.  What I have decided is that this is something I have always wanted to do, and that I have a story to tell. I actually have many ideas of stories to tell, some fiction, some based on real life. 

I am beginning with a story/motivational self-help book about going through divorce. I have a lot to say on this subject, and the writing itself is therapeutic in many ways. BUT I didn't just want my advice out there, because who am I to offer the "right" way to do things? Instead, I wanted a story of love and loss, bitterness and hope, brokenness and healing. I wanted my story with some advice thrown in. I mostly want to be a companion to women that are going through or have been through separation and divorce, though I think that the story is interesting enough to read for anyone that wants to read it of course! I hope! I also am including an entire chapter on how to help a friend or family member going through divorce, as I encountered many people trying to help, and can honestly say what was helpful and what was anything but! I talk about the feelings that are normal that so many people keep hidden inside, how to discover who you are without your spouse, how to deal with navigating the aspects of children and co-parenting, dating and remarriage. 



Like I said, I am not hoping to get rich. BUT I am hoping to have readers. I am just beginning, only a few chapters in so far, but am hoping to be done with the first draft by Fall. Please comment, private message me or even comment on here (I know the dumb Captcha code thing is annoying on here), with any questions, ideas or support.  When I am finished, I will be hitting up some readers to read it, give suggestions and review it. Though it is a bit away, I would love to begin compiling a list of people to be on my team so to speak. It is many of you that have been so encouraging to me, and I am grateful for your readership. And not to worry, for those of you not at all interested in this project, I am sure I will still be blogging about anything and everything else too. :)

For the curious, here is are a few excerpts. They are of course, not in context, but I am open to your thoughts on the voice and style of the writing. 

 I am not sure even how to categorize what a bad or a good person looks like, because by our very nature, all people are some parts dark and some light, some good, some bad, and some parts products of our own creation and environment. 

Tears were streaming down both of our faces, his bags at his feet.  Even then I was bitter already (or was it still), I felt as though I was an actress watching myself from afar. What was I supposed to say, do, how was I supposed to act? You find me the manual for that, and I tell you what, that person will be rich! 

That night, alone in our bedroom, my emotions were on a roller coaster ride. At 2 AM I awoke, after finally crying myself to sleep, and went into the bathroom, and gently took off my beautiful wedding ring (it had been a gift for our five year Christmas together), tucking it into my jewelry box. It was over, and I somehow just knew this. Ironically we would speak a few days later, on somewhat good terms at that time, and my soon-to be ex-husband would go on to tell me that he awoke in the middle of the night as well, and slipped his wedding band off and into his pocket…right around 2 AM. It’s funny how the world works sometimes, the duality of it all. I have always thought that if this were a movie, that would play out awesomely on the big screen. The torn apart marriage, the spouses alone, each surrendering their rings, and with them, their vows to one another.  All that would at least be Kleenex worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment