Monday, September 29, 2014

Made it Through Day 1...OFFICIALLY a Nursing Student Now

My first day of nursing school had its ups and downs. I am so happy that it is over, yet so excited to begin the program if that makes any sense! I started very nervous after a not so great night's worth of sleep. I got to school almost a full hour and a half early because I was worried about getting a parking spot. As that would turn out, I am lucky that I did get a spot,  but it was nowhere near my first class which gave me quite the on-campus hike up to my car because I was not going to haul everything. My first class was pretty good. I was excited to see a few people that I had "met" from our online Facebook group and was excited to have a gal that sat next to me that I recognized. I have been so nervous starting not knowing anyone. We were warned early on that today was all about policy and procedure and the organizations that govern nursing, and that most of what we will learn would not be this dry. We were shown a video about what nursing really is about and I have tried to include the link just in case you are interested. It brought tears to my eyes as I watched and remembered the reason I've worked so hard to get here. Because everyone has a story and I want to be someone that makes somebody's day better. 

Looking Through Another's Eyes Video Clip



After class I got to hike back to my car for my wallet because I didn't think to bring it in. I was excited to see that our health building has its own coffee and sandwich shop! And they even take cards (yay for the girl that  never has cash)!


Next, some of our class attended a meeting with some second year nursing students. They were able to answer a lot of questions and calm some fears. It was good to know that many of the students already have families and some are even working part time-and they are still alive! :)

 I thought I would have two hours in between my nursing class and my microbiology class, and that usually will happen, but today because of the meeting,  I had time to come back to my car to begin reading a chapter and scarf down my lunch before "hiking" over to microbiology. By this time I had a raging migraine and attempted to take the medication and eat enough food to make my system happy. Microbiology was okay. It was actually pretty interesting, but it's a three hour long class– that's a long time! The instructor has a good sense of humor and the material is pretty fun to learn, and even though I was really annoyed at having to take microbiology again, I think it will be okay. I had another nursing student sit by me, and it is nice to commiserate with someone who has (almost) exactly the same schedule. 

 At the end of the day as I finally headed to my car to come home, I realized I  forgot to grab my raincoat which was back in my car, quite a ways from the building (but slightly closer than in the morning) and so I got pretty wet on the way back. My head was throbbing at this point.  I attempted to open my carbonated water which exploded all over me in the car and I had to grab my brand-new sweater to clean it up. Then I managed to break my migraine pill into little itty-bitty pieces trying to get it out of its God-awful packaging. Who makes these things?? Seriously?? All in all it was a pretty good day.  I do have some homework but only because I am trying to stay on top of that and not let myself get behind at all and start out with really good study habits.  So I have some reading tonight after I see my family, and will do the next reading for microbiology tomorrow morning. Looking forward to a shorter day Tuesday and Wednesday thank God! Today was long but doable. I am nervous about labs on Thursdays and Fridays because I know that some of my CNA skills need refreshed-but I guess that is what we are there for! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment