Monday, September 8, 2014

This is Not a Problem; It is a Privilege

This morning I was thinking how happy I have been lately, and just how incredibly blessed. This weekend I was very stressed a few times about what seemed to be a BIG decision regarding Matthew and soccer (whether he should join a club, competitive soccer team or not that he has been invited to play on), then I took a step back from the "problem" I imagined of busier Saturdays and more driving, and thought, "This Sarah, is not a problem. This is a privilege, and an opportunity for Matt that he's really excited about." Pretty much since then, I have not worried much about it.  I think it just goes to show that attitude is everything. Often the things we are stressed about, no matter how big or small, are opportunities in disguise.

I begin nursing school in 21 days, and when I let myself, I can get really stressed and even a bit melancholy about it.  Thoughts like these invade my brain: You already did college and had a career. It is selfish of you to make your family handle you going to school again. What if you are too busy for family time? What about all the skills you know nothing about that you have to learn? And on and on. We really are our own worst enemies a lot of the time.  And then I remember, I need to be my own biggest supporter, not someone who gets in my own way! I left teaching because I dreamed of being a nurse. I am showing my children that dreams are worth pursuing at any age. I will make time for my family no matter what, though it may be a bit less than now. If it means earning a few 'B's' and having happy kids, I am so okay with that. And of course I know nothing about the skills yet. That is the point of being in school to learn them. I have to take a deep breath and tell myself, "Stop it! This is everything you wanted. Be thankful and brave." It is SO easy to let our minds and inner voices start on a negative spiral. It takes effort to turn those thoughts into more rational and positive ones.

One thing I have been doing recently that I found helps me a lot, is to simply think of (and to make time for) something that makes me happy. Obviously, not all of the things on my list can be controlled, but sometimes even thinking of them is a quick mood lifter. Try it yourself. Below are 15 of my happiness boosters. Obviously, they are tailored to me, which is why I encourage you to think about what would be on your list.


  1. Snuggling with our dog, Max, or kitty, Clarissa. I've said it before, and will say it again, petting animals has a positive physiological effect on people.  Stress hormones, blood pressure, and even cholesterol levels are lowered and serotonin (a happiness hormone) is elevated.  If you want more information, read here: 27 Ways Pets Improve Your Health.
  2. Hearing a frog croak, glimpsing a deer or wild turkey, watching leaves fall, or being in the rain, wind or snow. Nature is good for us. 
  3. Snuggling with and laughing with my kids, whether it is to watch a cartoon, read a book or tickle each other.
  4. My husband's presence. I am happy every time he walks in the door.
  5. A hot, bubble bath.
  6. Really good coffee, tea, or (sometimes) wine. Combined with #5, #7 & #8, amazing.
  7. Candles burning.
  8. Beautiful music. Throw back to my Nan, (my grandmother from my mom's side), who passed when Matthew was just a baby-she loved Yanni and the beautiful piano pieces. Secret? I do too, I even have a Pandora station for him, and the songs remind me of being at her house as a kid.
  9. Baking cookies (and sampling the dough of course!).
  10. An amazing compliment from my husband or kids. I love being told by my boys that I am pretty, and by my husband that I am smart. 
  11. The release of an anticipated book or movie.
  12. A sappy, romantic comedy.
  13. A text or email from a friend out of the blue, asking about my day. 
  14. A clean home (LOVE it when it is freshly vacuumed, swept and mopped), especially if I am not the one who had to do it..., but even when I am.
  15. 1-2 hours of time all to myself. 
Next time you are having a rough day, make a list of 5-15 things that make you instantly happier, and if time, do one of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment