Friday, September 19, 2014

A Letter to My Son on Your Half-Way Birthday

Dear Matthew,
Happy birthday! Did you know that today is a very special birthday? You are turning 9, and will then be halfway to being an adult. My eyes are misting up as I write this to you (I know, I know, us sentimental moms!), as I think that I have been blessed with nine years as your mom, and in another nine you will have chosen a college, a career path, and will no longer be a child, but a man.

Do you know how proud of you I am? Do I tell you that enough? I love your smile and your sense of humor, the way we can play (and yell at) Mario for hours, the movie watching we both enjoy, and how you are developing your own sense of style. I love that you have enjoyed books I loved, like Among the Hidden, The Boxcar Children and Harry Potter.  I am a very lucky mom. Not once has the school ever called me to say you were in trouble. Not once has a baby-sitter, relative, or other parent ever had to tell me that they were disappointed in your behavior. I have been told though, on many occasions what a smart, kind and helpful boy you are. I have been told you are a leader among your classmates and a willing teacher to struggling students. These things make me so proud. I have watched you play soccer for the last five years, becoming one heck of a good soccer player, and learning each week to be even better. Your athletic abilities and your smarts amaze me. Your gentleness with animals makes me grateful. I love watching you talk with Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Jim, and am proud of how respectful you are to them. I love your willingness to learn new things. I love that you are not afraid to ask me anything, even if it is awkward or strange. Keep asking.

Do you know the times that have made me the most proud though? The difficult times. When your father and I split up and you wiped my tears away, telling me that some day I would find a knight in shining armor. You were only five then, and you never acted angry at me, and you have continued to roll with the punches life has thrown as we have moved homes, and your father has moved often as well. When I have been sick, you have comforted me with snuggles, blankets and glasses of water. When I have been unsure you have told me that I am a good mom, and that I can do anything. You have told me that I was an awesome teacher, and that you know I will be an awesome nurse. When I was busy and stressed practicing for my nursing assistant exam, you were my willing patient to practice on. When you told me no-one was available to help, and you changed your baby sister's diaper because you couldn't leave her like that, I cried tears of pride. I know being a big brother is often hard, and in the past year you have impressed me by becoming a sort of guardian angel to your little brother. You have looked out for him, made sure he knew where to go and how to behave, and you have been an amazing friend to him. Your quiet faith has impressed me in our talks about the world and God, and how sometimes bad things happen to very good people. I am most proud of your heart.

On your 9th birthday, here are 10 lessons I want you to hold on to (one to grow on of course!).


  1. Talk to God. I know we don't always go to church, but talk to God anytime, anywhere. Pray for help when you need it, pray for others that need Him, and thank Him often for what you have.
  2. Be a big brother worth looking up to. Continue to watch out for and to set a good example for Isaiah. Be kind and helpful, not boastful or mean. He is watching you, probably more than anyone else, to see how to handle this world.
  3. Always do your best, but know that some days your best may not be as good as you have done before, and other days it may be even better! Whether this is in school or on a playing field, know that you will have off days. We all do, so shake it off and keep going.
  4. Do not be afraid to challenge yourself. Read more difficult books, play with more talented kids. It will make you better.
  5. Put your family before extra things. If given the choice between seeing a friend or watching your brother play soccer or going to a family dinner, choose family. There will (and there should be) time for friends too, but make sure that your family knows they come first.
  6. Ask for help. Ask to make sure. Never be afraid to admit that you don't know how to do something or that you need a helping hand. 
  7. Become more independent.  Keep learning. Learn useful skills like cooking a few meals, running the washing machine and basic repairs. The adults are more than happy to show you.
  8. Girls are your equal. Never talk rude to a girl. Never think a girl cannot do something you can because she is a girl. In that respect, treat ALL people the way you want to be treated. 
  9. Choose being kind over being popular. Always. Never bully. Be the kid that sticks up for other kids that are being made fun of-even if it is your friends being mean. A true friend will forgive you correcting them, and you will make a tremendous difference to the person being bullied. 
  10. Help whenever you are able. Open doors for people, ask teachers and coaches how you can help, spend time with our pets, and help around our house.


So, Matthew, I am very proud of you, son. You are an amazing person, and you are well on your way to becoming an amazing man.

Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment