Saturday, November 24, 2012

What Weight Loss Really Means

I have posted before about weight, and about the cringe-worthy fact that I currently weigh what I did nine months pregnant. Now, here is the honest truth about weight gain, weight loss and loving the body you are in.    I was underweight before I had my first son, and though I had a healthy BMI, I was at the bottom range and could use to gain a few (maybe 10) pounds. It wasn't a ton, but it was enough to make me look very thin, and my face pretty gaunt. The thing was though that I ate whatever I wanted (I was the girl you love to hate), and I must have had insanely high metabolism. The last time I went to the doctor I was ten pounds over the upper range of  my healthy BMI, and though she said I could lose about 10-15 pounds, she also said she was not concerned, especially after my cholesterol and blood sugar levels checked out normal. I do not put 100% faith and stock into BMI, especially when used on men, because it always puts them insanely low, but it does give me an idea of m y "healthy" range.

Barrett and I began Weight Watchers again almost a week ago. You may be thinking it too, as some have asked-Why would you do that to yourself before the holidays? Our answer, (as we both felt the same)-there would always be some excuse to wait for. First it would be Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. Then my birthday following closely behind on New Year's Day. Well, Barrett's birthday is in February...and we may take a vacation in March or April...you get my drift? It would never happen. :) So, I am proud to say that not only did we make it through Thanksgiving, but we made it through the holiday while away from home at the cabin we like to rent. We planned ahead, took healthy snacks, bought no food while we were away, and made a holiday meal complete with a crustless pumpkin pie. Was it hard? Sort of. Did we feel deprived? A few times, yes. But we are also proud that we were able to go away and eat a fairly normal holiday meal without overdoing it. There was lots of snacking on fresh veggies and apples.

It has only been a week. But so far Barrett is down 4 pounds, and I was down 2 last I weighed in (we suck at waiting to weigh-in only once a week!). It is good progress, and we have exercised almost every day. This time, I can tell you what works and what does not. Clean out your pantry and fridge before you even start a diet plan (or you will eat the unhealthy stuff!). Do not deprive yourself (if doing WW, save points for the things you know you really want, while eating a salad for a meal you don't care as much about). Get off your butt and get on a bike, treadmill, do yoga, or walk...whatever it takes. Playing a video game while I ride a stationary bike makes me almost forget I am doing it! Crank up the music, work out with your spouse or friends, or your kids. And take it slow. Never (EVER!) wait to look and feel good until you lose every pound you want to lose. That is malarkey!!! Reward yourself, yes, but if you want that new sweater, buy it in the size you are now (or in your newest size as you lose), because it makes you feel good. Baby steps. But we will get there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment