Thursday, February 13, 2014

Oahu Vacation (the rest)

I have been meaning to blog for the last few days, but things have been too busy and interesting (I guess as it should be while I am on vacation), that by the time Barrett and I return to our room and look at pictures from the day or read for a bit, I am exhausted! Today is our last full day in Oahu, and we have really enjoyed ourselves. Once we decided to stay (and not give in and fly to Maui!), we have made it a point to have fun, do touristy things here and there, indulge, and enjoy relaxing. After all, we both have jobs to return to (!!!) when we get home. I am assuming you read my news on Facebook, that I found out while here that I got the job I have been subbing for the remainder of this school year. I am excited about that, but I cannot even begin to speculate what that may mean for the future, since too many things have yet to be decided, but from when I return until the second week of June, I belong to Sweet Home School District.
Our view from our balcony

Anyhow, I was saying that we have gotten in lots of relax time. We chose to only do the one excursion (the snorkeling and dolphin watching trip), and even gave up our spot on an already booked Pearl Harbor tour. Embarrassingly enough, that was entirely my fault, but Barrett was so understanding about it, saying he'd rather hang with me on the beach anyhow. I have admitted on here before that I have overactive bladder. Even with my medication, I have good days and bad days. I am lucky that I don't experience many of the humiliating symptoms that I could with this condition, BUT on a bad day, I need a restroom, every 30 minutes or so when I am awake. NOT fun. On the snorkel trip our bus and our boat had a restroom, so we called ahead  to see if the one for Pearl Harbor tour would (Hind-sight says I should have done that before booking, but Google says it is like a 30 min. drive-yeah, without any traffic!). I am so glad we called. The bus had a restroom that was being repaired but was out of service for likely what would be our tour the very next day. The drive we were told, can take 1.5-2 hours from where we were at on the pick-up schedule. Eh. Even on a good day, that would be a stretch!  Sorry for the TMI (though I have vowed to  not be embarrassed by this condition anymore! It is not like I asked for it, and is the same as someone having asthma or another unfortunate ailment), but all this being said is why we decided (even without a refund...yeah, I know right???!) that we would not put me in that situation. Barrett was my hero then. I was going to go anyhow, and just be miserable, hold my bladder, and risk being sick (it makes me nauseous and full of anxiety when I am "trapped" somewhere). Barrett told me that although Pearl Harbor would be cool to see, that he'd rather not be on a tour bus too, and that we would enjoy our trip together doing something else.


Sunset Beach, North Shore, Oahu
That something else was a day on the North Shore. We got a rental car, and stopped at many beaches that day. We watched the big waves the surfers ride on, played in some pretty good size surf (though we just danced on the edges mostly-we are too fearful and respectful of the powerful ocean!), waded in a huge tide pool, visited Turtle beach and watched the sea turtles, and even went to the Dole Plantation. We had yummy Mexican food for lunch at a place called LuiBuenos, and whipped pineapple at the plantation. It was a great day. The next day we bummed around the beaches right here at Waikiki. We attempted to snorkel off Fort DeRussy beach, and saw a few cool fish, but mostly swam due to the visibility of the water. We ate a delicious dinner at Bali Steakhouse that night. It was almost too fancy, as in my Caesar salad had anchovies on it (eww), and the mashed potatoes were called "potato puree" which to me sounds like something people eat in a nursing home. Regardless, we joked about the pretentiousness of the place, and enjoyed the food and my beverage-a Blue Hawaiian that was a bit strong. I guess that's why I felt my lobster needed to dance. ;)
At Ko'Olina Lagoons

Yesterday we drove to the Ko 'Olina Lagoons. These are four apparently man-made lagoons where there are rocks and a rock wall of sorts to protect swimmers from the open ocean. I don't care if it isn't 100% au natural. It was amazing!!! The fish, the waves (only to a lesser degree), and sea turtles come right into the calm, very clear lagoons. Amazing snorkeling. I would totally take the boys here. Barrett and I LOVED this area of Oahu, and indeed spoke of bringing the boys to a resort in Kapolei (where Ko 'Olina is) in the next year or so. It was clean, manicured parks, great turquoise water, and just breathtaking. We even saw a mongoose running across the grass as we were leaving. Yes, they live here in Hawaii.

Barrett has spoiled me rotten here. I am the owner of dead sea skincare products, a silk dress that can be worn in various ways, a real, flower lei (we both got leied last night! heehee), and shell earrings. We have indulged in every meal that we desire desperately trying to ignore the prices. Both of us got quite sunburned yesterday after snorkeling all day that we have mainly been relaxing in our room today with warm air coming in from our balcony-hence me finally having the time to blog. Overall, we have ended up having a great trip. Oahu has grown on us. On the one hand, it is ridiculously expensive ($60 breakfast buffet anyone??), crowded, and the main beach we are on is not great for snorkeling. On the other hand, we found some very cool places, have loved the food choices, and love the privacy of our tower and the separate pool and spa. It is just about time to come home, and we are both excited at that too. We miss our boys, our pets, our family and our own bed. Aloha, and Mahalo for reading.



That is a mongoose!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment