Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Words for your Day

Today I write for the sole purpose of brightening your day. I have no idea what today entails for you. I have no idea of the struggles you have had this week, or this month. But I know that we all have them. Sometimes it is so difficult to see beyond what our struggles are, or to realize that they may fall very flat when compared to the struggles of others. Have you ever had a really tough day and then you hear about someone else that has it much, much tougher? Maybe it is a mother battling cancer, or a wife who is grieving her husband. I know when that happens to me, my initial thought is one of guilt- "I guess it could be a lot worse," I think. 

But I am here to tell you that ALL of our struggles matter. There is no need to compare our difficult times to those of others. There is no need to rate our woes on a scale of 1-10 for how bad things actually are. The truth is, if you are struggling with something, anything, it matters to you (otherwise it'd be smooth sailing, right?). 

Perhaps you too, like me, are in a season of waiting-waiting on decisions that are not yours to make, but can impact your future greatly. Maybe you are struggling with your child, and there has been some behaviors that you worry about as you lie in bed each night, wondering what you can do to help. Maybe you are grieving the loss of a loved one, and each day seems an effort to go through the motions. Maybe things are tough at work, in your home, or in one of your friendships. Maybe you fret about student loan debt, lamenting that there is no way that your college education will ever be paid back.



Personally, I find that I have been "stuck" in a season of waiting for what feels like too long. I await a decision that I thought would have been made long ago about an option for my life that could (literally) change the course of things..., or it could just be another step on the way. Additionally, I will spend the next 2+ months waiting to see if I even earn an interview for nursing school. There have been a few issues with one of my sons that I think (hope?) are solved for now. Those are a few things personal to me, though I bet some of you are in similar boats regarding events in your life.

Most of us can recognize ourselves within one or more of these common struggles, and they are all valid. Instead of giving you some magical tips on how to resolve your difficulties, instead I will leave you with some words. I hope that you can find some meaning in them the way that I have this morning, and remember-you are not alone. 


  • "Go through each day looking for what I have prepared for you. Accept every event as My hand-tailored provision for your needs. When you view your life this way, the most reasonable response is to be thankful." -40 Days with Jesus by Sarah Young (written as though from Jesus speaking).

  • Often in life we find ourselves lured by comfort instead of meaning, necessity instead of passion. Take the time to find your passion, and take steps to make it a part of each day. -Me (That's a Sarah original for you)

No comments:

Post a Comment