Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Books to Stay up All Night to Read...and Those to Avoid in 2014 (Part 2)

Book review continued.

My apologies to those of you that enjoy more "normal" books. I have tried to include a few on this post, but I have to admit that my favorites are anything BUT normal. I want books to take me away from reality :).

YA Fantasy/Fiction 
-I had to add a few more that are even younger than the ones I listed, because these fun reads are just plain good!


  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians- By Rick Riordan. What can I say? I LOVE Greek mythology, and this series brings it to life. There are movies of the first 2 that are okay, but again, the books are just plain fun, and actually very suspenseful. 
  • The Giver Series by Lois Lowry. This is probably more dystopic again, but this is a phenomenal series. One of my first true dystopian loves. 
  • Gone Series by Michael Grant. This is what happens when all adults disappear and teens with emerging mutations are now in charge of society. 


YA and Adult Fantasy/Paranormal (this category is similar to part one, but I think the content is maybe a bit more adult than the other books already in this category). 

  • Sookie Stackhouse Series- by Charlaine Harris. This is the series that TrueBlood, the HBO tv series was spawned after. They are not the same!! If you are fans of both, that's fine, but the books have far less sex and gore than the show, and are actually more of a light read (in my opinion). Sadly this goes in my Series Not Worth Finishing category as well, because the author ends the series in a way that was not in character for many of the main characters...
  • The Mind Readers Series by Lori Brighton. For an inexpensive, enjoyable read (You can get the first book FREE on Kindle right now), these books had me captivated. Think X-Men, but all the notable characters have mind powers, and then combine with a big conspiracy. Good read.
  • Eternal Eden Series by Nicole Williams. This is also a series I started for FREE (and it still is, I looked!) on Kindle, and really enjoyed. Take immortals, add some romance, and lots of twists, and again, a great read for a very small investment (the other novels aren't free, but are on the lower price end). 
  • Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking. This is a take on paranormal that I had never seen before that actually involves trolls-that may sound weird, but phenomenal books that I could NOT put down. The first book is just $2.99 on Kindle, so not bad to start.
  • Arcadia's Gift by Jesi Lea Ryan. A great start to what promises to be an interesting series by a new writer. Aracdia (cady) is a girl that is an empath-she can feel the emotions of others...


Adult Fiction

  • The Long Game by J.L. Fynn is a story of American Gypsies, a crazy con, and of-course romance that has the ability to get in the way. This novel was co-written by two gals (who share a pen name) I went to high school with, and though it is not normally my style, I couldn't put the book down and can't wait to read the next one!


Non-Fiction Reads

  • Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David Thomas. I just got this book yesterday, and am already 3 chapters in. It is a practical, yet humorous read about why boys are different to parent than girls, the stages they go through, and how to best help them at each stage. I highly recommend to moms (and dads) of boys. 


Humor

  • Dad is Fat by comedian Jim Gaffigan, this is a laugh-out-loud literally book about parenting. 

Series that Started Good, but not sure are worth finishing
-yes, sadly this has to be it's own category!!
I still recommend (I guess, though grudgingly, because these all started with a bang and then left something-or a lot of somethings to be desired later on).

  • Sookie Stackhouse series (as mentioned above)
  • House of Night Series by PC Cast. This series about a school for vampires actually starts really good. The first 4-5 books are great, but it starts to fizzle. There is one more book (out in October), and I will read it, though sadly, I don't have high hopes. 
  • Divergent Series by Veronica Roth. The first book is AMAZING, and I am looking forward to the movie that comes out this March. But have you ever been so excited about a final book in a trilogy and then wanted to literally throw the book across the room when done reading?!! I HATED, HATED the final book. It was such a disappointment for many reasons, not just the lackluster ending that leaves you saying "huh? what? seriously???!!"  So, I am not sure I can recommend the series. The first 2 are pretty darn great, and then BAM, a crappy writer who sums up nothing, giving shoddy answers for the explanations, and an infinitely depressing ending somehow inhabits the body of an otherwise promising author. The final book, in my opinion, was no worse than author suicide. Not sure I will ever read another book of hers again.
  • Pathfinder series by Orson Scott Card (Yes, same dude that wrote Ender's Game which I Do recommend, but have only read the first one) started off so nice in Pathfinder, but Ruins (the 2nd book) has yet to grab me....but I am still trying.
  • Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini. I loved Eragon, but the books got slower and dryer to me. Granted, I am someone who loathes overtly descriptive novels, and these definitely qualify. I feel they are good stories, but I just couldn't finish the last one, so I asked my husband (who enjoyed them) to just sum it up to me. Turns out? I wouldn't have liked the ending anyhow. 


On my Reading List (and Kindle!)

If you think you may have similar tastes to me, these are all recommended if you like the Hunger Games. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment