Saturday, July 28, 2012

Reach Out and Touch Someone

We all know that touch is very important in our daily lives, but some of us probably underestimate just what it can do for a person. There are thousands of studies out there that explain the importance of touch on newborn babies, in relationships, and in our everyday lives. The touch of a loved one can provide a sense of calm and security and increases our positive moods. Instead of regurgitate studies that have already been done (I encourage you to go read them yourself if interested), I will go over some of the key points that I thought were interesting in some of the studies I've come across.


  • Many public schools have tried to ban any physical contact between students and teachers. This is stupid. I get the laws and the fact that there are some sick perverts out there that make having these so-called rules necessary, but let's look at reality and what I learned in my education classes. Children need touch. If my child falls down and skins his knee, what is the first thing he seeks? PHYSICAL reassurance that he is okay. Asking a pre-school or kindergarten teacher not  to hug their students is ridiculous. I taught third grade, then junior high, then high school. Hugging may have decreased a bit with my older students, but it was still a valid form of communication. Luckily, I never worked anywhere that made a big deal of it, but I can't say I would have listened if I had. 
  • There is new research that shows critically and/or terminally ill patients are depressed. You are already saying, "Duh-they're probably dying!" Yes, Smartie, I know that. Do you know the #1 reason for depression in these patients though? Lack of meaningful physical touch. Think about it-people in hospital beds are often treated as if they are fragile by their loved ones. While you may need to be careful with someone who is ill or injured, do not quit showing them that you love them. Hold their hand, kiss them, hug them...a lot!
  • You may have wondered if I'd bring up romantic relationships. First, my disclaimer is that I try to stay very "appropriate" on this blog. I may no longer be a Christian school teacher, but many former students read me (and I value that!). So while sexual touch in a marriage is important (of course!), I am more talking about the other touching that should occur on a daily basis. Spouses should be affectionate as often as possible! This means holding hands, kissing, rubbing one another's shoulders, tickling, and putting your arms around your partner are very important! In fact, one therapist says that she sees too many marital couples that are starved for physical (non-sexual) affection. One interesting study I read said that French couples are happier overall than American couples. Their recipe for happiness? More physical affection. Another study says that it is healthy for children to see their parents hug and kiss (and it helps formulate what matters in a marriage to them). Finally, my favorite study I read said that for every negative thing said in a day, it takes 8 positive interactions to make up for it...and that the physical forms of affection may actually add up faster. 
So, go hug someone today. They might be starving for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment