Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Almost a month in!!!

Almost 4 weeks in! I cannot believe that I have been in nursing school for almost a month. I am starting to make wonderful new friends with some of the girls in the program, and it is so nice to have people that understand exactly what is going on in my life. I have only wondered once or twice, why in the heck am I putting myself through this?! There was one day where I wasn't feeling well, the lecture was boring, etc. etc. that I felt like I couldn't keep my head above water, and I thought why did I not just stick with teaching? But most days are not like that. Most days there is something that holds my interest. I loved learning about holistic care, and it was refreshing to know how open-minded nurses are expected to be about complementary and alternative medicine. I really enjoyed learning about education Ha ha ha! No surprise there, and how to talk to the patient about their health and wellness. I am hardly nervous at all anymore to do a blood pressure and to take vital signs. 

Monday is our midterm for my first nursing class, and I am both nervous and excited. I know I am super weird, but I have always loved taking tests, and have normally done pretty well on tests. But I am nervous because I have no idea what to expect and I know they will hit us with some of the questions where there is more than one right answer and which is the most right of the correct answers. (Just to say that is confusing!)

 It has been amazing to me just to see the change in the way that people talk to me knowing that I am a nursing student. My dental hygienist, the dental assistant, my OB/GYN, and her assistant, have all talked to me with a different level of respect, like I understand the medical field a little bit better. It is really nice. It's almost like I am now part of this big group that we call healthcare (I guess I am!), and it really feels like I belong here. 


Next week we start learning about infant care, pregnancy, and women's health. Just today I started a binder with all of the things that I think I am interested in,  and want to keep it up with my own notes and information about different programs for advanced practice nursing -just so that I can refer to that as I become interested in different things or cross them off my list. I can tell you that though I have no experience yet so far what has sparked my interest the most in talking about it and reading about it is women's health and or Pediatrics. 

Well, off to go study for my microbiology test tonight and nursing mid-term Monday! Thanks for stopping by to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment